Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendation Letter

Hope2018Hope2018 Yearly Member
in General 76 karma

Hello everyone,

I am a recent college graduate who is preparing to take the test in October and apply for law school in the fall. However, I had some questions about recommendation letters. Currently, I am thinking of asking my 1) last semester history seminar professor who liked me and gave me a good grade 2) my writing professor freshman and sophomore year and 3) my internship supervisor who was previously a lawyer and I got along with very well.

But the problem is I was only able to ask my internship supervisor in person. I totally forgot to ask my professors because I was swept with finals and graduation :( And because I am out of college, I am not near my college physically.. I think email is the best option to ask my professor for recommendations currently. Also, I would like to give them the whole summer to write one for me, and I really need advice on the best way to format the email to formally ask for a recommendation.

And the questions I have are:
1) For my writing professor who I knew freshman and sophomore year, I wasn't really able continue contacting him after I took his class :( I got good grades and I really liked his class! Would it be okay to ask him for a recommendation even though I wasn't in contact for 2 years ??
2) For my history seminar professor, he seems to have really liked me and gave me a really good grade. I did mention to him during one of our meetings if he could write a recommendation letter for me if I apply for law school this fall, and he said I should let him know once I get serious again. However, my professor is really bad with emails.. He apparently still did not reply to one of my classmate's email, which she sent 3 weeks ago lolll.. Also, I'm just scared that " let me know when you get serious again" is a "yes" or "no." Maybe my professor didn't want to write me one??
3) On the email should I be sending them anything specific? Resume? Anything else?
4) Should I ask for any specific information? Like an email for me to register on CAS?

** Please let me know anything I should know! Sorry that I seem so misinformed :( ** Thank you everyone

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe email and ask if they have time for a phone call. And maybe offer to mail them the information and tell them there's an option for them to mail the letters to the LSAC.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I emailed my professors and explained that I was applying to law school, when I hoped to have my applications completed, and told them that I would be happy to meet in person if it would be helpful. If they know you reasonably well they might not even want to take up time with an in person meeting. I also let them know that I would send my resume and a draft of my personal statement. Don't send those in the initial email- that makes it seem like you're assuming they will do it before they've said yes. Also, I would recommend adding in a line that says something like if they do not feel comfortable/are too busy, you will understand. That gives them an easy out if they don't feel like they will write a good letter.