Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cambridge

harrismeganharrismegan Member
edited January 2015 in General 2074 karma
I was about to purchase a bunch of Cambridge packages for LR and LG, but I'm wondering... does anyone have any they want to pass along? I have a few I would be willing to share! MSS, Flaw, NA, SA, Point at Issue, Humanities passages, and Social Sciences passages (RC).

Not sure if we're allowed to do this, but if we are, is anyone willing?? E-mail me! Harrismegan@live.ca

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Share at your own risk. When you purchased the Cambridge packets, they were licensed to you only...
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    You know I was thinking about this recently actually. I agree with @licknee that this is against the rules and would advise that @harris not share with anyone else due to licensing issue.

That said, does anyone else think it's a bit rubbish that we can't? For example, if we buy a book with the tests in them, we can share it with anyone we want. We can even sell our copy to someone else if we want.

Is it really within their right to tell me I can't sell my licensed copy of the Cambridge packet when I'm done with it? I understand I can't use it anymore if I sell it, but why can't I sell it or give it away? Surely if publishers were allowed to created licenses that actually precluded the right of sale all of them would use it for every book they sell in the market. I mean, why not just say "Limit 1 user per book?"

So why is it legal for me to sell a copy of the LSAT Trainer, but not my Cambridge packets? Is the license really just a scare tactic that they hope no one challenges?

JY? Would love it if you'd drop some sweet copyright knowledge on us.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I'm not sure.... But I'm not selling mine, I'm just asking to share material :). If it's illegal I won't do it, but I don't know how sharing it with people who ask me is any different then if I lend it to a friend?
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    edited January 2015 802 karma
    I think it has to do with the sharing, but not exclusive sharing. Meaning, since Cambridge is digital, when you email the PDF to someone, they have a copy of your copy. Unless you destroy yours, you've essentially photocopied your book, and given it to someone. Now I do know that's a no-no... even with books, and certainly for electronic books.

I think if you pulled an Amazon, where when you "share" a book through their lending library, it is removed from your account temporarily, your access to the content is restricted and bestowed upon someone else. They're not creating a new copy.... somehow that's legit.

And BTW, I agree with you philosophically. I just can't support my argument... need to go to law school first :)

2074 karma
    haha :) thanks
  • tsamvelyantsamvelyan Alum Member
    431 karma
    I just purchased mine yesterday for LR section, and it is against their policy to share. It is licensed specifically to you and they can sue you for sharing. I know several test prep sites who have done that. I don't think it's worth the risk.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    This is on their Terms and Condition page:

"Cambridge LSAT owns a copyright in the selection, coordination, arrangement, and enhancement of such content, as well as in the content original to it. Website users may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale of, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the content, in whole or in part. Users may print copyrighted material for their own personal use only, provided they keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Except as otherwise expressly permitted under copyright law, no copying, redistribution, retransmission, publication, or commercial exploitation of printed material will be permitted without the express permission of the copyright owner. The user acknowledges that it does not acquire any ownership rights by printing copyrighted material."
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    @harrismegan "but I don't know how sharing it with people who ask me is any different then if I lend it to a friend?" you assume lending it to a friend is okay
    2074 karma
    Lame!
    2074 karma
    Worth a shot :) thx guys.