Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise score jump in LR

CoffeeEnthusiastCoffeeEnthusiast Alum Member

Hey everyone,

I really need a sanity check because I feel like I'm getting in my own head. So I started studying about a month ago and was initially planning on taking the October LSAT because learning about the July Freebie. I started off with a 155 diagnostic with -8 and -11 on the two LR sections.

I then went through the LSAT Trainer (minus LG because 7sage's LG explanations felt more intuitive) and the CC and have recently started taking timed full PTs. Now this might be a very small sample, but in the 6 PTs after one month of studying I am getting an average of 164 with scores ranging from 162 to 168. (and BRs ranging from 171 to 174 if that matters) The score jump from my 155 diagnostic is due to a pretty big increase in LG as one might expect, but also because I got -6 to -3 in LR sections in all 6 PTs.

Now this is where I need a sanity check. When going through LR sections now, I don't feel like I'm doing things differently from when I took my diagnostic aside from maybe a better understanding of what the question stems are asking. Since doing well on the first PT after going through the CC, when doing LR sections in full PTs I just try to go as smoothly as I can while telling myself to trust my instincts and it seems like its working out. So my question is, did anyone else experience this random jump in LR after the LSAT Trainer/CC? Is it even possible that I was lucky 6 PTs in a row?....

Comments

• 246 karma

@chenyu_1995 said:
    Hey everyone,

I really need a sanity check because I feel like I'm getting in my own head. So I started studying about a month ago and was initially planning on taking the October LSAT because learning about the July Freebie. I started off with a 155 diagnostic with -8 and -11 on the two LR sections.

I then went through the LSAT Trainer (minus LG because 7sage's LG explanations felt more intuitive) and the CC and have recently started taking timed full PTs. Now this might be a very small sample, but in the 6 PTs after one month of studying I am getting an average of 164 with scores ranging from 162 to 168. (and BRs ranging from 171 to 174 if that matters) The score jump from my 155 diagnostic is due to a pretty big increase in LG as one might expect, but also because I got -6 to -3 in LR sections in all 6 PTs.

Now this is where I need a sanity check. When going through LR sections now, I don't feel like I'm doing things differently from when I took my diagnostic aside from maybe a better understanding of what the question stems are asking. Since doing well on the first PT after going through the CC, when doing LR sections in full PTs I just try to go as smoothly as I can while telling myself to trust my instincts and it seems like its working out. So my question is, did anyone else experience this random jump in LR after the LSAT Trainer/CC? Is it even possible that I was lucky 6 PTs in a row?....

I don't think you are getting lucky, 6 PTs is a large enough sample size to infer that you have significantly improved. My experience was pretty similar actually, had very quick gains on LG and picked up a couple points on LR strictly by understanding exactly what the question stem was asking. However, your LR jump is greater than mine was. I found that it was much harder to keep improving after the initial boost, don't want to be a downer, but just want to make sure you won't expect quick gains the whole way. I think I was PTing 163ish within 2 months and then it probably took about 4 more months after that to start consistently hitting 168-170. You are definitely off to a great start though and certainly not insane.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Mine experience was similar, as well. Even if your thinking doesn't feel extremely different, you have learned a lot and comfort with the test/speed is a big help as well. Don't doubt yourself, you've made real progress and it isn't just a fluke!