Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Law School for you? Reflections by the Legal Eagle Guy, Mr. Goff, and Rilke

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
in General 27821 karma

This is a bit old and doesn't add a whole lot to this discussion that folks here won't already know, but I really like the simplicity of this part and I share this specifically to echo this sentiment:

If you know you have to be a lawyer, you should probably go to law school. . . If you aren't sure whether you want to be a lawyer or not, do not go to law school. Full stop. End of discussion. That's it.

My high school band director had a policy to do everything he could to dissuade any student considering majoring in music. I was a hardcore band nerd and knew I was going to major in music. I had already earned quite a large scholarship and was pretty much set. So, he pulled me out of rehearsal one day and we talked and he told me all the reasons I shouldn't major in music. He explained to me that if I could be talked out of it, if he could even plant a seed of doubt in my mind, that music was absolutely not for me. Music is a hard profession and most people that go into it are never able to make a living. I majored in English, and I'm forever grateful to Mr. Goff for that conversation.

I think Rainer Maria Rilke--the greatest poet most people have never heard of--put it best (as usual) in Letters to a Young Poet.

This above all--ask yourself in the stillest hour of your night: must I [be a lawyer]? Delve into yourself for a deep answer. And if this should be affirmative, if you may meet this earnest question with a strong and simple "I must," then build your life according to this necessity; your life even into its most indifferent and slightest hour must be a sign of this urge and a testimony to it.