Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

applying?

sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 1501 karma
I'm trying to plan ahead and set goals accordingly as best I can. I hope to have my bachelor complete in 16 months, that would put me at entering law school in the fall of 2016. So with that being said, I could potentially submit applications late this year/early 2016, to start the fall term of 2016. So say that I apply and then determine that I possibly wouldn't finish my bachelor until the fall 2016 term at my undergrad school, then that would mean I couldn't enter law school until 2017. So if I applied to attend in 2016, and then ultimately could not due to not yet earning my bachelor, would I have to reapply again for a different semester/year? I hope that makes sense!

Comments

• danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    Honestly, you should set your goals a little broader in my opinion. You have no idea what life is going to throw at you in the next year and a half. Focus on 1. Bachelor's degree, 2. LSAT, 3. applying to law school and in that order. I agree that planning ahead is wise. Just don't try to create a rigid plan that you have to stick to. Be aware of deadlines and come up with a few scenarios for applying in the future. Plus, until you have an official LSAT score, or at least a solid idea of what your potential score range is, you will not know which schools are appropriate to apply to.
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    I see what you mean & don't disagree. I was given some advice to take the lsat sooner than completing undergrad. I've signed up already for the June 2015 test. I probably am working on setting goals too quickly, but I'm 26 & just regretting not following my dreams sooner.. so eager to get things going I guess.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    @hmccabe You're fine. Make sure you keep you GPA as high as possible while in UG. Next to the LSAT this is the biggest number they care about and it's impossible to change when you're done. The LSAT can be retaken but you can't time travel to improve your undergrad GPA. Do everything you can to keep a high GPA.

As for the LSAT, there are TONS of students who take the test the summer before senior year so that they can apply over Fall semester for the following year. Nothing at all out of the ordinary there. If you take the LSAT, it's good for 5 years, so it doesn't matter when you apply. I will say this though - only take the test when you're ready. Ready = your PTs are at the median or better at a school you actually want to attend. You'd be better served if you were close to or above the 75th percentile, but that's up to you.

Whatever you do, don't sacrifice your GPA for LSAT study.
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    Thanks! I appreciate the feedback & advice.