Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take the LSAT or keep studying?

Tyler_M.Tyler_M. Alum Member

Hello Everyone! I will be entering my Junior year this semester. I have not taken any LSAT prep tests before. I recently received the notification about registering for the LSAT coming up in September. I am wondering whether I should keep studying, and finishing my course with 7sage prior taking my first LSAT test, or take this LSAT and prepare to sign up for more after I finish this course.
Thank you any feedback, it is highly appreciated!

help

Take the LSAT or keep studying?
  1. Should I take the upcoming September LSAT or prepare for a future test after finishing this course?47 votes
    1. Take the LSAT !
        6.38%
    2. Keep Studying!
      93.62%

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited July 2019 2689 karma

Everyone makes this rookie mistake. I even did. Do not take the test first. Do not take the test after just minimal study, either. I know what you're thinking. You're a smart cookie. Always aced ever test you ever encountered. Never had issues in school at all.
    This is nothing like that. You will not just do surprisingly well and be done without having done any prep. This is a special kind of hell that you have probably never encountered before. And the LSAT will make you think you are doing great, as you choose every single trap answer. And then you will have used up one of your tests, which matters even more now that limits have been reinstated.

As someone who has been there: Study. Put off the test until your timed PT's are within the range you want to score. Preferably, higher than you want to score. Then go. If it takes two or three years (especially because you're still in school), it takes that long. Trust me: this is fine. Fairly normal, actually.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    Everyone makes this rookie mistake. I even did. Do not take the test first. Do not take the test after just minimal study, either. I know what you're thinking. You're a smart cookie. Always aced ever test you ever encountered. Never had issues in school at all.
    This is nothing like that. You will not just do surprisingly well and be done without having done any prep. This is a special kind of hell that you have probably never encountered before. And the LSAT will make you think you are doing great, as you choose every single trap answer. And then you will have used up one of your tests, which matters even more now that limits have been reinstated.

As someone who has been there: Study. Put off the test until your timed PT's are within the range you want to score. Preferably, higher than you want to score. Then go. If it takes two or three years (especially because you're still in school), it takes that long. Trust me: this is fine. Fairly normal, actually.

I totally agree with this. Especially the "higher than you want to score" part. I am scoring within my target score but might delay and not take September so I can try to gain a bit of room when going to the real test. The ideal case is when you can screw up on the test and still be happy with the score you receive. Some people hope that their real test would be their best score but I don't think it works that way. I think averaging a few pts higher than your target score would be great.

• Tyler_M.Tyler_M. Alum Member
    21 karma

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the feedback because I did not know what to do about this or that there are now limits. I wish you both the best in your preparation for the LSAT!

• Omid Sean HVOmid Sean HV Alum Member
    25 karma

I have no idea why you'd take it in your junior year. The very minimum would be your senior year.

• salonpapassalonpapas Member
    138 karma

@AudaciousRed said:

This is the best answer. And we only arrive here after committing this rookie mistake ourselves!

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

Many people on this forum, especially myself, will encourage you to study study study study until you are at, near, or even surpassed your goal score. The LSAT can open so many doors for you, and it's something that deserves your time and patience.

Been messing around with this exam on and off for 2 years. I went from hating this exam to really falling in love with it and learning its skills. There are MANY benefits to doing well on the LSAT, namely that it will help you get into a good school and I would also argue that it will help you do well your 1L year. Learn it, study it, master it. It will be good for you!