Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Professional and Academic Letters of Rec

ALAMAROBALAMAROB Alum Member

Hello! I graduated from college in May of 2017 and will be applying to law school this coming fall.

Right now I have one academic and one professional recommendation secured. However, in reviewing the requirements for the schools I plan to apply to, I see some schools strongly prefer two academic references unless one has been out of school and working "for some time" or a "significant amount of time" or "several years". I don't find these requirements to be super clear, and am wondering if anyone has any insight as to when one academic and one professional letter is appropriate. What do schools typically consider as "some time"?

I am considering asking for a second academic letter but am not sure if that is necessary given that when I am applying I will have been in the workforce for 2.5 years.

Thanks!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I don't think 2.5 years is enough time to not have two academic letters. Your professors should still easily remember you if you were engaged in their classes and send them an email to jog their memory (you took this class, got this grade, did this paper/project). I would definitely ask for another academic letter.

• 246 karma

@ALAMAROB said:
    Hello! I graduated from college in May of 2017 and will be applying to law school this coming fall.

Right now I have one academic and one professional recommendation secured. However, in reviewing the requirements for the schools I plan to apply to, I see some schools strongly prefer two academic references unless one has been out of school and working "for some time" or a "significant amount of time" or "several years". I don't find these requirements to be super clear, and am wondering if anyone has any insight as to when one academic and one professional letter is appropriate. What do schools typically consider as "some time"?

I am considering asking for a second academic letter but am not sure if that is necessary given that when I am applying I will have been in the workforce for 2.5 years.

Thanks!

It seems like most schools prefer academic references simply because they write better references and can talk directly
    about what you are like to teach. I would probably just try to grab another academic reference but definitely keep the work reference as well if you believe it is strong. I am in a similar situation and I’m planning on sending 1 work and 2 academic. I thought it was odd to only send references that are from people I haven’t seen in 2 years. I think it’s pretty hilarious that many of the top law schools tout the value of work experience and publish the % of people who have been out of college 1+ years, but at the same time clearly prefer academic references over employer references.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma

If you can get a strong second academic recommendation, do it! If you can't, it will be okay.