Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Selecting Letters of Recommendation (academic v.s. professional)

taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage

Here's my dilemma. Most schools I'm applying to allow for a maximum of 4 letters of recommendation, but I have 6 and don't know which to select.

I am 1 year out of undergrad (i.e. will be 2 years out going into law school) and majored in History. I have FOUR history professors who have told me they will write me letters and who I know will write exceptionally strong letters for me (of the "one of my best students" kind). I also have a music theory professor who would write me a fantastic letter, which would be from a different perspective (though music, while a deep passion of mine, isn't directly related to my pursuing law). But since my post-college work experience is definitely relevant to my decision to go to law school, I also asked my former work supervisor to write me a letter. I'm fairly confident his letter would be positive, but if my professors' letters were 10s, I'm guessing his would probably be a 7 or an 8.

Just weighing them individually, I would definitely prioritize the ones from my history professors, but as a whole package I don't know if it would be better to mix things up a little. Thanks for reading this and I would really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions :)

Comments

• Mario RoboMario Robo Alum Member
    266 karma

Then definitely send at least 2/3 from history professors and can mix those up a bit for different law schools.