Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent Splitter Success Stories (Canada)

legallybrunette-1legallybrunette-1 Core Member
in General 4 karma

Hello there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any splitter success stories relative to Canadian law schools? Information on this subject is pretty scarce and so far, the information I have been able to find is more than a decade old (2007). I know that US law schools are more receptive to admitting splitters than are Canadian law schools, and maybe I'll end up going to a really good school in the states, but if anyone can provide me with any insight re: this side of the pond, that would be great!

:) Kat

Comments

• GuillaumeGuillaume Alum Member
    652 karma

From what I've seen, Canadian law schools aren't that receptive to splitters (ie. high LSAT, low GPA). The most a law school would consider your LSAT is for 50% of admissions, the other 50% being GPA. Some law schools are reverse-splitter friendly where they weigh GPA much more than LSAT.

I think the most splitter friendly schools are UBC and UVic as they weigh GPA and LSAT equally. A high LSAT could compensate for a weaker GPA. You may also have a chance at other law schools if you had special circumstances that affected your GPA. Then you could try applying through the discretionary category.

• lifescibutnolifelifescibutnolife Alum Member
    14 karma

Are you talking about high GPA and low LSAT or low GPA and high LSAT?

• ariinchargeariincharge Alum Member
    83 karma

If you are talking about a low GPA and High LSAT splitter situation I can speak to this. Some really amazing Canadian law schools are definitely receptive to splitters. For example: Ottawa, Queens, Western, Dalhousie, Windsor, Saskatchewan, Calgary and even Osgoode sometimes (they are moving toward a more holistic process).I would say that if your best two years of undergrad are decent and your LSAT is above the 80th percentile, mixed with some solid ECs, LORs and a thoughtful PS you have a shot at any of these school.

That said, if your cGPA and B2 are both sub-par you're going to need an outstanding LSAT to compensate. I know people in Canada who have gotten into really amazing law schools with 3.0 cGPA and 160+ LSATs. A friend of mine was admitted to both U of T and Osgoode with a 3.1 cGPA (3.7 B2) and a 166. Take a look on lawstudents.ca (Admitted threads) to get an idea of how many splitters were admitted to the various Canadian law schools.

Don't ever think you cant get in because of a weak GPA/LSAT. Give it your all, play to your strengths in your apps and im sure you'll be fine. Feel free to PM me for additional info or just to talk about.

• CoffeeEnthusiastCoffeeEnthusiast Alum Member
    211 karma

I did some research on Canadian law schools but am not too sure about what is considered a splitter. As far as I can tell, most people admitted to Canadian law schools have at least a 3.0 cGPA and the rare exceptions have LSAT scores that are quite high. (~165+)

There are however a good portion of them that look at B2/B3/L2 so maybe for those schools you aren't really even a splitter. Also, some schools (like York for example on the top of my head) mention that they take a much more holistic view of applicants and I think those schools typically admit more people with a sub 3.0 GPA. For these more holistic schools, I've heard that tailoring your personal statement/CV to the things the school is known for could be helpful.

Hope this helps.