What are my chances of getting into a T-20?/STEM Splitter success stories?

stemsplitterstemsplitter Free Trial Member

Hello. I know there are a lot of splitter posts here, but i wanted some feedback on my particular situation. I graduated a year ago with a dual degree in women's studies and biology. I am not gifted in math or science, but i really pushed through and graduated, This however brought my GPA down to a 2.8. My major gpa for women's studies is a 3.99 while my biology gpa is about a 2.1. I have been working for a large medical device company for a year now. I am taking my LSAT in January and was wondering what LSAT score I would need to best boost that low gpa. I know i should try my hardest to break 170, but I'd just like to know if anyone with a low STEM undergrad gpa got into a top school and is so, what your lsat score was. Thank you!

Comments

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Unfortunately the main thing is the 2.8. With a 170+ and an addendum, you should be able to get into some T20 schools and possibly a T14 school. But the 170+ is pretty necessary.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

How long has it been since you graduated undergrad?

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

@stemsplitter said:
    Hello. I know there are a lot of splitter posts here, but i wanted some feedback on my particular situation. I graduated a year ago with a dual degree in women's studies and biology. I am not gifted in math or science, but i really pushed through and graduated, This however brought my GPA down to a 2.8. My major gpa for women's studies is a 3.99 while my biology gpa is about a 2.1. I have been working for a large medical device company for a year now. I am taking my LSAT in January and was wondering what LSAT score I would need to best boost that low gpa. I know i should try my hardest to break 170, but I'd just like to know if anyone with a low STEM undergrad gpa got into a top school and is so, what your lsat score was. Thank you!

For what it's worth, during an info session the Duke Law dean said that a common GPA addendum he saw was from science majors who switched to prelaw, so I think law schools will be somewhat understanding of your situation. Just control what you can control such as your LSAT, personal statement, and resume. Good luck!

To answer your specific question, you can see past applicant results with your GPA range on the links below with hypothetical LSAT ranges. Adjust the ranges as you'd like.
    165-169: https://mylsn.info/jnqp44/
    170+: https://mylsn.info/8qfr59/

• keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    470 karma

Hey> @stemsplitter said:

Hey there! I'm also coming from a STEM field (neurobiology) and a SUPER-splitter. I'm also taking the January exam + planning on submitting everything by March 1 deadline (for non - T20 schools). I agree with the post above.
    170+ is a necessary condition for us to even be considered in T14s and maybe a 168+ for T20's.
    I'm planning on applying to mainly Tier 2 schools (not because I don't believe in prestige and job prospect and all that) but because submitting January score would be too late for T20 schools anyways and I don't want to lose another year of earning potential, especially when I have to take an extra 1-2 years to prep for the patent bar. Some of the major medical/biopharma states other than Boston and California (ex. Utah, Minnesota, Cleveland, Penn) have solid employment opportunities for patent lawyers from law schools in their vicinity.

I founded a medical aid device back when I was in uni and self-taught a ton about medical device licenses and patent/trademark stuff. It's a very fun endeavour that requires an eye for details & analytical skills (which STEM fields do a really good job preparing their students). The field needs more science-minded lawyers like us!

If you don't mind me asking, which medical device company are you working for? Can I private message you? Haha I'm super happy that I got to see another STEM applicant on 7Sage.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

One way to get the lower GPA discounted is to have it recede into the rear view mirror of time. The farther out you go, the less important it is. GPA counts two ways - mostly as a metric for US News and secondarily as a gauge perhaps on whether you can finish law school. There is no way to ameliorate the first item, but maturity and job success can help show law schools that you can handle the work no problem.

• stemsplitterstemsplitter Free Trial Member
    16 karma

I have been out of undergrad for a year. If i get in to the next cycle, it will have been 1.5 years. @keepcalmandneuron . You can absolutely DM me! I'd love to discuss the field with you!

• stemsplitterstemsplitter Free Trial Member
    16 karma

@"Chipster Study" I have only been out for a year, but am already on multiple projects which I am excelling on! Thank you for your input!