T14pleaseT14please Alum Member
edited July 2019 in General 28 karma

Comments

• MaitotoxinMaitotoxin Alum Member
    31 karma

Just my opinion, but presenting a story of hardship doesn't usually come across as a testament to your maturity nor potential positive contributions to a law school. You have some very good content here:

...participating in mainstage theatre performances in college. I have a lot of extracurriculars that I enjoy, for instance I'm in a fraternity and hold risk management chair and I also am treasurer for an honor society. I did track my first two years of college and was a competitor in the conference championship for my event. I interned at the prosecuting attorney's office and got some interesting courtroom experience...>

Expand on the responsibility roles using specifics and "I" statements. Remember that you are trying to show the admissions committees that you will contribute positively to the law school program.
    Most people have troubled pasts as children, and while this definitely contributes to personality, it's not certain whether positively or negatively.

• T14pleaseT14please Alum Member
    28 karma

Thank you Maitotixin! That is very helpful and encouraging :) I will try to focus it more on the current things then

• BearsEatBeetsBearsEatBeets Alum Member
    78 karma

I am no expert in personal statements, but from an objective standpoint it looks like you have a lot to work with. I certainly would not discount the struggles that you've been through. It sounds like you have overcome a lot to get where you are, and that alone shows determination and heart, to say the least. It seems like you can use your story to talk about your accomplishments, while also pointing to the barriers to success that you overcame to accomplish those things. Sure, a lot of people may write about their struggles, but yours is your own and it reflects much more than just personality - you can prove that in your statement. If you believe that you're a cookie-cutter applicant with a cookie-cutter struggle, your essay will reflect that. Instead, convince them why you will make a good student and be a good fit for them because of XYZ. If people can write a great narrative about working out, then you can do that with your experiences. With enough time you can frame it in a way that makes it relevant to your qualifications and your interest in law school. Good luck!

• T14pleaseT14please Alum Member
    28 karma

Thank you very much Tianaj! I'm getting excited to write this thing now