Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Picking the correct recommenders

I am having difficulty choosing whom to ask for a letter of recommendation. I know that letters of recommendation should focus on academics, however I have been out of school for a little over three years. Also, the professor that I developed a close relationship with is head of the theater directing department, a feild in which I am no longer pursuing a career. Alternatively, while in undergrad I was part of the student government and spent 20+ hours a week working closely with the staff advisor of the student government on school policy, writing bids, financial matters, ect. (areas more closely related to law). I am still in contact with this advisor. Unfortunately this person was never one of my professors. Should I ask both for a letter of recommendation from both or should I pick one over the other? If so, which one?
I also currently work in a law office and plan to ask one or two of the attorneys that I work with closely for a letter of recommendation.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

It's pretty important to have at least one academic recommender. I would ask all of the people that you mentioned. There's always a chance that someone will be slow to respond/send in the letter and it's good to have backups