Flaw Questions - what works for you?

Gz412326Gz412326 Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 92 karma
I am having a tough time wrapping my head around flaw questions. They are a total time suck for me and I usually end up getting them wrong. I've reviewed JY's material and drilled flaw questions but have only seen small improvement. Has anyone else had trouble with these?

Comments

• mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    Print out flaw questions and practice boxing the premise/conclusion/context. This will help immensely!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    For flaw questions, I typically ID the main premise(s) and the conclusion and write it like this:

A (premise) ----- B (conclusion)

For example, a common flaw stimulus I've come across is where you're introduced to a drug, a study, and then the author makes the conclusion that, based on the study, drug causes x.

When I read that, I recognize that "drug causes x" is the main conclusion. Then I think about why the author believes that and then I recall that the primary evidence he/she is using is the study. So below, I'll write:

study -- drug causes x

And then, I'll look at the argument core and think about what flaw is there. In the case of studies showing a causal relationship between x and y, we need to know if the study is representative, or to make sure the participants weren't predisposed to y even without x. I'll make sure to write down "unrepresentative" or "no cause, same effect" and then go to the answer choices.

For me, writing down the flaw is CRUCIAL because it forces me to not get swayed by tempting answer choices. The other most important aspect about this method is to recognize that I need to be flexible because sometimes the flaw I anticipate won't be the flaw in the answer choices. When that happens to me, I try to spot any other flaws.
  • bonjoursmbonjoursm Alum Member
    181 karma
    Flaw and necessary assumption questions are the ones that I use to miss the most.

Download the Cambridge flawed reasoning packet and just practice each question three or four times. You'll start to see the patterns.

Although I still struggle with level 3/4 necessary assumption questions, I've pretty much conquered the FR questions
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    Even though I'm not the original poster of this discussion. Flaw and Assumption questions are my biggest hurdle as well. Everyone's suggestions I hope will help me.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I also struggled with these types of questions. I created a google docs with these types of questions along with my notes. If you send me your email I can share it with you :)
  • Gz412326Gz412326 Alum Member
    92 karma
    @emli1000 - Thanks so much for your offer! My email is anonette123@gmail.com
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    @emli1000...... could I also get a copy?!?! Flaw is my WORST!!!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Would appreciate a copy as well t2015smith@gmail.com Thanks!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @emli1000...... Would appreciate a copy as well t2015smith@gmail.com Thanks!
    3462 karma
    @harrismegan what is your email?
  • Gz412326Gz412326 Alum Member
    92 karma
    Thanks everyone for the help!
  • natashabanks1natashabanks1 Free Trial Member
    55 karma
    i would love a copy as well! tpn1092@gmail.com
  • bonjoursmbonjoursm Alum Member
    181 karma
    Bonjoursm@g.cofc.edu
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    578 karma
    I struggle too but what has helped me is I ask "did this happened in the stimulus?" And if it's not something that happened I cross it out. That's how my instructor taught it
  • shama.barotshama.barot Alum Member
    3 karma
    It would be great if you could send the copy my way too! shama.barot@gmail.com Thank you so much!
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    @emli1000 it is harrismegan@live.ca :) thank you xoxox
    3462 karma
    I believe I've added everyone to my google doc. I'm still not completely finished with that section so if any of you have any suggestions or would like to add to it please feel free to. Thanks!
  • ndcorey3ndcorey3 Alum Member
    4 karma
    ndcorey@gmail.com if you dont mind!!!
  • dhanneetdhanneet Alum Member
    138 karma
    @emli1000 If you could send me those notes as well I would forever be in your debt!

neetu_dhanju@hotmail.com
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @emli1000 you love it too! Sbaldwin@asu.edu thanks!!