PT48.S4.Q18 - Leadership depends as much

edited September 2019 in Logical Reasoning 776 karma

This is a MBF question. Its specific type is a conditional MBF. I know going into this question, the LSAT writers are going to do a MBF answer choice by messing up on the necessary sufficient conditionality. Keeping that in mind I wanted to approach the question. My approach for this question would be "hunting" for the ACs because in line 2 you can see "only if" - which hints at a condtionality MBF question type & because it belongs to group 2.

However, the first sentence threw me off with the wording "depends" - which hints at necessary conditional. But then I tried to diagram that and I messed up with that. But in JY's explanation - he brushed that sentence off b/c he thought it was a context sentence. How do you make that jump or assessment when a certain sentence has "light" conditionality language (meaning it is not explicit in its use with if, only if, must, etc.) but should be considered a context or a non-conditional statement.

Any help would be awesome.... :)

Admin note: edited title; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [brief description]"

Admin note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-48-section-4-question-18/

Comments

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    edited September 2019 2186 karma

Edit: I deleted my last answer because I thought you were talking about the first answer choice. The first sentence paraphrased says that leadership followers awareness of their own roles is just as important conveying the collective goal. So when I read that I think to myself "ok so neither of these two things is more important than the other." Moving on the argument says only if both A and B happen, will people follow the leader. Since it's a MBF I know that that's what i'm going to focus on. Because the right answer is probably going to say claim that some people follow leaders despite only checking off one of the two necessary conditions (A and B).

I think if reading "depends" tripped you up then you're probably still relying too heavily on indicator words. After more exposure you will get much better and recognizing context when you see it.

• 776 karma

Thanks .....

I totally agree with you on approach. I just feel sometimes they get to me LOL, especially if I miss a word which is indicator and you're like crap you got the question wrong because of that....

Anywho - super appreciated!