PTB.S1.Q14 - If an artist receives a public subsidy

errrrr1452errrrr1452 Alum Member
edited December 2019 in Logical Reasoning 132 karma

Unable to figure out this PSA question out. Please help.

Comments

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited December 2019 1363 karma

Your numbering might be off. Question 14 appears to be an Argument Part question. Is that the one that you're referring to?

• errrrr1452errrrr1452 Alum Member
    132 karma

@thisissparta Hey. Sorry about that I meant to put PT 27.5 S1.Q14

• errrrr1452errrrr1452 Alum Member
    132 karma

@thisissparta said:
    Your numbering might be off. Question 14 appears to be an Argument Part question. Is that the one that you're referring to?
    Hey. Sorry about that I meant to put PT 27.5 S1.Q14

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

(A) - there is no mention of a "moral duty to urge" other artists to get subsidies. It's not about urging. It's about making the money available for other artists.

(B) - acknowledgement is irrelevant. The artist can acknowledge whatever he wants. The issue is what is physically happening with the artist's money.

(C) - If we treat the subsidy as a "debt" that has to be repaid unless the artist really can't, then that would justify the argument that the artist who makes enough money to repay the "debt" should be obligated to do so.

More formulaically:
    Subsidy -> Debt
    If can pay debt -> must pay debt
    If can pay subsidy -> must pay subsidy
    The hypothetical artist in the stimulus is able to pay the subsidy
    THEREFORE,
    the artist must pay the subsidy

So C clearly justifies the passage's conclusion.

(D) the argument isn't about who is deserving of subsidies. This doesn't justify the argument. So what if we choose artists who are likely to have financial success... it still begs the question, when they become successful, do they have to pay the subsidy back or not?

(E) Uhm... ok, if we assume this principle, they have to get a bank loan, then they're unable to so they get the subsidy... why does that mean they need to pay it back?? Because they applied for a bank loan first? Naaa

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

Also I think this should be titled PTB.S1.Q14

It's officially prep test B, not prep test 27.5.