PT2.S4.Q18 - some cleaning fluids

Karlygash-1Karlygash-1 Alum Member
edited January 2020 in Logical Reasoning 61 karma

Hello,

In this particular question I was wondering between C and E.
Answer D is correct, however. I crossed out this question since D does not mention "benzene" and only "formaldehyde".
E choice looks the best because according to the passage, "houseplants remove some household toxins" which means that according to E the quantities will eventually decrease.
Answer C is also attractive since well-insulated house means a "warm" house and the same time "safe" since the houseplants "eliminate danger" as per stimulus.

Please #help

Why my logic is wrong and why the answer is D???

Comments

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited January 2020 1363 karma

So based on the evidence provided in the stimulus, formaldehyde was the only toxin to have been removed through the use of certain plants. The question stem tells us that those very same plants are being used in similar a well-insulated house. The stimulus most strongly supports the removal of formaldehyde with the use of said plants. Given the evidence in the stimulus, we don't know if benzene would be removed by those same plants.

Re: C - you're reading the well-insulated = warm bit into the stimulus. We do not know if that is true.

Alternatively, a second reason for ruling out is C is as follows: the stimulus says that the use plants removes some toxins and thereby eliminates their danger (i.e., the danger posed by the toxins). Does this mean that the air supply is now safe? Is the quality of air supply only affected by toxins? Can you remove some toxins and still have relatively unsafe air?

AC (C) inherits an absolute and authoritative tone by the use of the words "have a safe air supply" that's simply not supported by the stimulus.