Comparison of these particular law schools: Seton Hall, Brooklyn, Cardozo - Yeshiva, St. John's

mistermo96mistermo96 Alum Member
in General 42 karma

Hello! I am interested to hear what folks' think about the above law schools and how they match up against each other. If one is interested in going into Big Law after law school in NYC or securing a federal clerkship (let's say that person does not need financial aid and for our purposes, he/she has the same grades at each of the schools), what school makes the most sense for these specific goals? And relatedly, which one of the schools above has the best reputation/standing in the eyes of Big Law firms in NYC?

A couple of thoughts:

Seton Hall is higher-ranked than both St. John's and Brooklyn, but my sense is that St. John's and Brooklyn have stronger alumni networks in NYC than Seton Hall. Is the higher ranking negligible, then? Should one take stock in Seton Hall's higher ranking nationally?

Cardozo - Yeshiva is higher ranked than all of the three other schools, but it has a shorter history than St. John's and Brooklyn. Based on my research, Cardozo - Yeshiva is deemed an "up-and-coming" law school and is highly ranked in part due to its superlative IP program. In the eyes of a big NYC law firm, does Cardozo - Yeshiva carry more weight than St. John's and Brooklyn -- all things being equal, that is? What would lead one to choose Cardozo over Brooklyn and St. John's, or St. John's over Cardozo?

A more general question: in the case of the four law schools that I identified above, how significant is the gap between Cardozo - Yeshiva (the highest rank school at 52) versus St. John's (the lowest rank school at 77) (i.e., how should one view the 25 rank difference)? Is there a material difference?

Any and all opinions/takes would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments