Thoughts/Perspective

harrismeganharrismegan Member
in General 2074 karma
Hi!! I write often, but I noticed something this morning.
I took the December 2014 LSAT and received a disappointing 155. I studied for about 4-5 months prior to, first with the Kaplan books (WHAT A MISTAKE), and I only really picked up on 7Sage when it was closer to 3 months before the exam. I work full time, but I crammed my mornings/lunch breaks/after work with LSAT prep and got through the course as quickly as I could. I then took a bunch of prep tests and went into my exam unsure how I would do.

Anyways, I'm going through the entire Ultimate course this time. I'm on the Flaw section and I am writing out on most of the questions my reasoning for getting the answers right/ why the wrong answers are wrong. Sometimes I look at earlier comments and notice that I commented previously. But.... when I look at what I wrote before, it's like "I got this answer right... but because I eliminated this...but I was really stuck between two answer choices". This time, however, I am able to KNOW what the answer should look like before going into the answer choices. Not only that, but I am not wavering between two choices. I know why it's right. I know why the others are wrong.

I wanted to write this because my 155 really upset me. I won't get into my law schools that I applied for with that mark, but this is a marathon. Some people can do it in 3 months and walk out with a great score. Some people can't. So, IN a big long explanation, if you're losing hope and thinking that diagnostic score just won't budge.... don't give up. Be persistent. Understanding something takes time, and takes it sinking into your core. Just embrace it, try and learn as much as you can, and PERSIST! :) You can do it. We allllll can do it!

Comments

• shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    Thank you. I struggling with persistence. I took the September 2014 LSAT I'm a little ashamed to admit I got a 145. I used PowerScore the first time through studying for about 3-4 months but I slacked off too much and when I did study I wasn't doing so effectively. I started using 7Sage about a month before the test. I didn't have enough time for it to make a difference. When I first got my score, I carefully considered giving up but eventually decided that was not an option. I also work full-time. Luckily I work in a small call center and I can study between phone calls and during lunch. I usually try to do some drills when I get home. But its hard. I'm also completing the Ultimate course and supplementing any weak areas with The LSAT Trainer. I am on the logic curriculum. I'm going very slow to make sure I understand every topic thoroughly before moving on. I've learned so much through 7Sage already. For example, through BR I know my biggest issue is timing especially on LG. I'm also much better at seeing why the answer choices are wrong on most questions. I guess what I'm getting at is thanks for the motivating words. I need it a lot. My family is not supportive at all, I'm on my own on this dream. But the thing is this goal is not about them, I'm putting myself through hell for myself and my future success. I can do it, I just have to continue to be strong. I promise I'm not trying to be cheesy.
  • hrjones44hrjones44 Alum Member
    323 karma
    naw shine on me u aren't being cheesy, i took the test back in 2011 made a 142, my diagnostic a few months ago was 144, and now i scored a 154 on the devember 2014 LSAT practice exam with a blind review of 164. so im taking the test tomorrow in an attempt to hurry and get in for the fall, but i know my true potential wont be realized at least for another month or two, but i can thank 7sage for all of that, along with myself for doing the work. Keep your head up, if i have to retake it again in june i will, but then i will almost assuredly have reached my potetntial LSAT score.
  • Alex ShortAlex Short Alum Member
    112 karma
    My opinion is that some people take their diagnostic and get a 170, and those are the people who require little studying.

The rest of us, however, need to understand that to get a 170+, we may need a full year of preparation time. That's about how long I'll have studied when I take the test in June. The real key is what was mentioned in the first post - until you can understand 100% why ALL questions that are wrong are wrong, and why the right answer is 100% correct, you are jeopardizing your score.

You may get 90% of your Necessary Assumption questions right, but if on test day, you aren't as lucky and get 4/7, you lost 3 credited responses that you could have had.

No matter how smart you were in school, treat this test like learning a new language - you must immerse yourself in it and it will become - with time - something you can do with speed and accuracy. Good luck!
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    Something I've been meaning to share that relates to this topic. I have a work calendar that has quotes, this months is

"You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures."-Charles C. Noble.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    The best approach for me has been being able to write down why each AC is incorrect and why the AC I chose is correct. It can be hard at times. Sometimes I wasn't really sure I understood the stimulus and would move on to the ACs. I realized that was a BIG mistake. Because I would always get caught up on the trap answers. Which sucks. If I don't understand the stimulus, I will usually quickly move on and answer the next question and when I'm done I'll come back to that question(s) I've skipped. Also, remembering not to let those time sink questions get the best of me has helped too. I used to hate skipping questions on PTs because I always felt that it would confuse me when I placed an answered on the bubble sheet, an answer for the question I'd skipped. But somehow I was able to get over that after drilling.

Also, if you're not getting/making the score you want just remember that everyone's path is different. No matter what! Some people will do fine the first time around, but others may need a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th try. Don't give up!! :)
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    This is right on the mark, and I'm glad you shared your experience with everyone. I tell my students this on a regular basis, but I think it naturally resonates more coming from a peer/colleague/fellow recent-test-taker.

And, don't forget the best part of all of this - you now have the tools to win every Facebook argument you engage in for the rest of time :D
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    So true @harrismegan and you are right in not worrying about disappointing scores... like you pointed out, it IS a marathon not a spring... I did it for a year and a half before I got to what was for me an acceptable point... about 2 months before the September test things started to click... and then there was a break because my grandfather passed away 2 days before the LSAT and I was in no state to take the test... this was followed by a two week break, but then when I got back to working at it, things started becoming even clearer... the LSAT is a skill and you only get better at it as time passes... @shine.on.me and @hrjones44 power to you guys!!! This is a wonderful community and we all draw strength and learn from each others experiences.