Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume gap because of studying???

ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
edited January 2020 in Law School Admissions 348 karma

Hello! I graduated this past May and started a job in September. My work contracted ended in December and I decided to take the next few months to study for the LSAT full-time. I'm really concerned about having to explain my resume gap to law schools when I apply. I can't just be like "yeah so I was studying for 5 months." This is especially concerning for me because I want to do a dual JD/MPP (master of public policy), so I'm assuming they'll hate seeing the resume gap even more. My job from September to December was really substantive and interesting, so I'm working on getting a part-time job maybe during the weekend (10-15 hours a week) that is connected to my old job and that would allow me to actually work on a cool project or make some sort of an impact. I'm hoping that would kinda fill the gap, but I would love to hear about you guys' experiences with this issue. Any advice/help appreciated!!! Also, I am considering potentially applying to HYS if I'm able/qualified, so I would be interested to know how those schools in particular treat resume gaps. Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• workin_itworkin_it Alum Member
    74 karma

I'm in a similar boat! Graduated in July and was studying until December. I decided the gap was worth it, in order to get a great LSAT. Most advice from adcoms I've heard has been to address the gap in your resume with a brief addendum. I think you will be fine as long as you're still filling your time not lsat-ing with volunteering or things like that.