Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how is an international GPA of 2.9 out of 4.0 but LSAC evaluation of "superior" treated at HYS ?

lsat2016lsat2016 Free Trial Member
edited December 2016 in Law School Admissions 488 karma
Some international UGs have low GPA even at the top of the class.

Is 2.9/superior better than 3.6/above-average at HYS adcomms?

Do adcomms just ignore actual GPA and only look at the LAC rating or not ?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @lsat2016 said:
    Is 2.9/superior better than 3.6/above-average at HYS adcomms?
    I'm not sure to be honest, but I do believe the law school will put more focus on the LSAT score when it comes to international GPAs. And yeah, they basically look at the rating IIRC.

I'm no expert with international stuff so don't quote me on it. But I'm pretty sure that's the case.
  • itsemmarobynitsemmarobyn Member
    edited February 2019 272 karma

To the best of my knowledge, you can't directly translate international grades into a 4.0 scale because what is "counted" as a very high mark is very different between the two. Most likely, the schools will look at your grades as evaluated by LSAC, which tries to explain to the universities what your international grades mean to them. So yes, they might look at the marks, but since they won't understand them (i.e., if you took classes in England and got a 70, which is a 1st class honors but a C on a 4.0), they'll probably rely on the LSAC rating.

@Alex said:
    I'm no expert with international stuff so don't quote me on it. But I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Disclaimer: what he said ^

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

From what I read, the superior rating is all that matters since you won't be helping or hurting their GPA medians. In other words, you have a bit less leeway with your LSAT score.