Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reschedule the LSAT?

Amrina96kAmrina96k Alum Member
in General 144 karma

I am scheduled to write my LSAT again for the fourth time on March 30, I really want a score in the 155+ range. I just wrote the LSAT in Jan last month, which I cancelled because I experienced a panic attack for the first tkme and completely blanked out. The three scores prior to this one have been in the 150 range and I am studying now while working full-time. My goal score is to get something 155+ range. In your opinion, would it be best to write the LSAT towards the end of March-which gives me 1.5 months to increase my score by 5+ points, or reschedule it for some time in June or July.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited February 2020 10774 karma

The best way to increase your score is going to depend on your section score for those sections. The easiest sections to learn in order are LG, LR, and RC. RC is very easy if you already have active reading skills, but for most people that is not the case.

So if currently you are not scoring well on LG, I would say the easiest way you can increase you score is by fool proofing logic games. But if you have already fool proofed games or your logic games score is already good, then focus on LR. LR is 50% of the test, and your reading habit doesn't have that much of an impact on it as it does on RC.

For LR, focus on doing all the easy questions and skipping the hardest questions. All questions are worth the same points, so get the easy points first. Then start making a dent in the harder questions in the order of difficulty to you. Don't rush or try to finish. See it as an opportunity to get some of the harder questions.

For RC, I would say make sure to focus on active reading. Almost all people that come for help in RC do not read actively. So look up what it means to read actively, and try to implement it. It's hard to memorize the details, but you do need to understand most of the details in RC to do well -and active reading can help with that. Also remember to not spend a lot of time in questions on RC and try not to go back. You only have about 40 seconds per question in RC. This is why your reading in RC can make or break that section.

As far as knowing when you are ready to take the test depends on your PT score. If you are scoring well by March take it in March. I always say that if you don't have to take it by a certain date, don't unless you are scoring your goal score. This gives you a chance to raise your score even more. The only danger is when people move their date to six or seven months later, they tend to sometimes slack off as the date can seem very far and leads them to then not be prepared for that test date.

I hope this helps you a bit. :)

• Amrina96kAmrina96k Alum Member
    144 karma

@Sami said:
    The best way to increase your score is going to depend on your section score for those sections. The easiest sections to learn in order are LG, LR, and RC. RC is very easy if you already have active reading skills, but for most people that is not the case.

So if currently you are not scoring well on LG, I would say the easiest way you can increase you score is by fool proofing logic games. But if you have already fool proofed games or your logic games score is already good, then focus on LR. LR is 50% of the test, and your reading habit doesn't have that much of an impact on it as it does on RC.

For LR, focus on doing all the easy questions and skipping the hardest questions. All questions are worth the same points, so get the easy points first. Then start making a dent in the harder questions in the order of difficulty to you. Don't rush or try to finish. See it as an opportunity to get some of the harder questions.

For RC, I would say make sure to focus on active reading. Almost all people that come for help in RC do not read actively. So look up what it means to read actively, and try to implement it. It's hard to memorize the details, but you do need to understand most of the details in RC to do well -and active reading can help with that. Also remember to not spend a lot of time in questions on RC and try not to go back. You only have about 40 seconds per question in RC. This is why your reading in RC can make or break that section.

As far as knowing when you are ready to take the test depends on your PT score. If you are scoring well by March take it in March. I always say that if you don't have to take it by a certain date, don't unless you are scoring your goal score. This gives you a chance to raise your score even more. The only danger is when people move their date to six or seven months later, they tend to sometimes slack off as the date can seem very far and leads them to then not be prepared for that test date.

I hope this helps you a bit. :)

Thanks a lot for your reply! Definitely very helpful, I know my focus should be towards perfecting Logic Games.

Now you mentioned that for LR I should focus on doing the easy questions first. How do I figure out which ones are the easier ones? I don't notice a specific pattern for my LR, I don't struggle with a specific type of question. It varies each time defending on the stimulus and facts presented.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@Amrina96k said:
    Now you mentioned that for LR I should focus on doing the easy questions first. How do I figure out which ones are the easier ones? I don't notice a specific pattern for my LR, I don't struggle with a specific type of question. It varies each time defending on the stimulus and facts presented.

One of the ways you can see the difficulty level of each question is by clicking resources on 7sage and then clicking on problem sets. Under "Create Problem Set for from Question Bank" you can find the section and see the difficulty level for all the questions for that section. Alternatively, when you score your PT on 7sage, you will be able to see the question difficulty in analytics.

You can also view this video linked below to get an idea about how to use analytics to better learn from a section or PT that you have taken.
    https://7sage.com/lesson/analytics-score-lsat/

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I think if your looking for a 5+ increase from 150-155, 1.5 months is enough if you really dedicate yourself. But I see no reason to limit yourself. Can you cut back a bit on the work hours, really buckle down on the LSAT? especially starting from a 150, you give yourself a lot of room to grow and that potential money from scholarships could easily offset the money you get now.

Just my two cents!

I would go for June/July definitley.

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    190 karma

@Sami you are awesome! thanks for that. I feel like I literally just learned how to read after you tubing active reading!! Are you in law school now? If so, can I ask which one? I remember reading your posts a long time ago before I took a one year hiatus. I'll be on the calls this weekend. Thanks again!!