Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing of Problem Sets

GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
in Logic Games 1644 karma
J.Y. touches on this briefly in some of the posts in the problems sets, but at what point should I really be focusing on the timing of these sets? Most of the games don't give me a whole lot of problems, but some I have to fool proof the crap out of. I always try to work to be accurate before speedy. Is this the right approach? J.Y. says in some of the games to not worry about timing as much and take as long as needed. On the problems that I have issues with, will the speed come as I get more accurate from fool proofing? At what point should I be focused intently with my time? During the preptests or the problem sets?

Comments

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I think if you're going through the course, not really timing yourself is an issue. Try and stay within the specific time range for the problem sets (15 minutes), but if you go over I don't think you should sweat it. It's more about getting the fundamentals and building a strong foundation of knowing how to approach the problems and do them correctly. Speed comes with accuracy anyways :)
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Problem sets are helpful because after a section you'll go over them and use what you just learned to answer those 10 or so questions. In the beginning, don't stress timing so much because 15 mins to answer a problem set might not be enough time. You can make it eh, let's say "20-25 mins" and then with more drilling you'll be needing only 15 mins or less. But speed will only come with accuracy! When I first started the working on the problem sets I used to give myself 15 mins to see how many questions I could answer within that time frame. But sometimes I would only get through 6 questions. I would make note of how much longer the other 4 questions would take me. From there on out, half way through the course I stuck with only 15 mins. & so far it has been working for me.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    The course is where you build skills... I'm guessing that if you're ok with some games you do them within the time limit and if you fool proof the crap out of some then you get them within time at the 7/8th try or maybe even the 11/12th try... if that is the case, then you are going about it in the right manner... you're right... build those connections in your mind...while speed should be more of a concern as you get closer to the exam, if you get the concepts right, things will start clicking and you will get faster... don't worry ;) That said, in my opinion, 3.5 - 2 weeks before the test, you should be finishing the sections on time... the odd difficult game or RC or LR section can throw anyone off but by this time, you should have enough endurance and speed on an average to finish a test... this is because if you intend to give the test for that setting, this is the time you should be tying things up, getting rid of weaknesses and seeing improvements in your test taking ability.
  • laila.ayublaila.ayub Free Trial Member
    45 karma
    Agreed, don't worry TOO much about timing just yet. Give yourself a fair buffer at first, but knowing how long it's taking you is good. If you start setting the harsh constraints too early you risk compromising the basic skills you need to get better and as a result get faster, because you might start rushing yourself without realizing it and therefore throw what you learned up to that point out...and then you end up with wasted questions.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I was wondering this as well. I always run out of time on problem sets. Thanks.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Thanks to all for the replies. I have caught myself numerous times on the problem sets rushing through because the clock is ticking. On the games I am struggling with, I'm not making not necessary connections to ensure accuracy. I've relaxed a little on the time while going through the course and will eventually get tight on the time as I move through the 30-something prep tests.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I think it depends on how far along you are. With June being so far away still theres no real rush to get into serious timing so you can continue to take your time and make sure you understand and can pick up on the inferences. Once you've got it down pretty nicely then you can start timing and working on quickly pulling the inferences from your memory/brain