Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC: Coronavirus update and new March LSAT policies

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited March 2020 in General 14044 karma

A summary of the email we received from LSAC:
*March LSAT administrations canceled in: South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, and China
*March North America administrations proceeding as usual, but might cancel if situation deteriorates.
*Any test taker currently registered for the March 2020 LSAT may switch to the April 2020, June 2020, or July 2020 test by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, on Friday, March 20, at no additional charge.
*March test takers will be allowed to wear nose and mouth masks and to bring hand sanitizer.

Full text of email:

All of us at LSAC are saddened by the Coronavirus outbreaks affecting numerous countries around the world and numerous areas of the United States. We are working with global, national, and local officials to comply with local health directives and guidance, while striving to address the needs of test takers and schools.

We recognize that candidates may have questions about how the Coronavirus outbreak will affect upcoming LSAT administrations. We have created a Coronavirus resource page on our LSAC.org website to provide the latest information and answers to frequently asked questions. We will be updating this page whenever new information is available, and we hope that it is a helpful resource for you as you advise your students. We would welcome any feedback and any additional questions you or your students have.

The March 30 LSAT in the United States and Canada is currently scheduled to proceed as planned, although the situation could change depending on updates and guidance from local or national health authorities. Similarly, the international LSAT administrations in late March are scheduled to proceed as planned, except for South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, and China, where we had to cancel due to the Coronavirus situation. Should it become necessary to close or move any additional test centers, we will communicate directly with affected candidates and work to reschedule them to another date.

Given the uncertainties around the Coronavirus outbreak, we are extending the date change deadline and waiving date change fees for the March LSAT. Any test taker currently registered for the March 2020 LSAT may switch to the April 2020, June 2020, or July 2020 test by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, on Friday, March 20, at no additional charge. We are communicating this new date-change policy directly to all March registrants and encourage you to share it with your students you advise as well.

We also have revised our test day rules in response to the Coronavirus situation, to allow test takers to wear nose and mouth masks and to bring hand sanitizer, if they wish.

For more information about these policy changes, or any other Coronavirus issues, please refer to our Coronavirus resource page.

We will continue to monitor the Coronavirus situation closely and take appropriate actions in accordance with the guidance of public health authorities to ensure the health and well-being of test takers and to provide every opportunity for students to complete their law school admission journeys. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thank you for the invaluable support you provide to students and candidates during such a challenging time.

Comments

• dansykes94dansykes94 Core Member
    112 karma

I would be amazed if they cancel the March exam in North America/Europe. It would be devastating for law students as the virus will get worse well into the summer. They'd cancel all exams up to June and the March corona climate would have looked relatively mild.

Unless there is a massive ratio of infections at the exam centre location then the exam should not be cancelled. At worst, close certain test centres but not a blanket cancellation.

Schools won't be closed long term and neither should test centres. Sensible precautions are all that is required.

112 karma

Note too that they've not cancelled it in Italy, where they are over 10k cases. I believe there is one test centre in Rome.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

The problem is now is the LEAST likely to be cancelled. If we switch to April theres a higher chance it would be cancelled because more infections. Idk this is allll bad

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@dansykes94 said:
    Note too that they've not cancelled it in Italy, where they are over 10k cases. I believe there is one test centre in Rome.

That's inconsistent with what they did in South Korea. Only one test center there too and they canceled it when it was under 5k back in late February.

• empocratesempocrates Alum Member
    170 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    The problem is now is the LEAST likely to be cancelled. If we switch to April theres a higher chance it would be cancelled because more infections. Idk this is allll bad

yeah i feel like there's more chances of it getting cancelled for April than for March...

• NinoSaniNinoSani Alum Member
    100 karma

I wonder if law school application deadlines would be extended?

112 karma

@NinoSani said:
    I wonder if law school application deadlines would be extended?

Its likely, though many deadlines are this month. Whilst it may be too late to formally extend many deadlines I expect they'll be slower with decisions well into the year. More spring/summer admits too I reckon

112 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 said:

@dansykes94 said:

That's inconsistent with what they did in South Korea. Only one test center there too and they canceled it when it was under 5k back in late February.

I think it depends on the test centre location. I'm not sure where it Is in S.Korea but if it was in the hotspot I can see why they closed it. Rome was not hit by the virus, most of the damage was in the northern parts of Italy.

The US would need to reach like 50k cases before it's at the level of South Korea and I don't see that happening in 2 weeks. My prediction is March goes ahead as planned, maybe/hopefully April but I think May/June will be cancelled as that's when the virus will be peaking

• JWJW Alum Member
    edited March 2020 85 karma

Just to update the March 2020 LSAT has been cancelled in North America as well. LSAC will be posting more information shortly.

• hcdbsu24hcdbsu24 Alum Member
    103 karma

So I used my July 2019 freebie to register for the March test. Now that I am automatically moved to the April exam, what happens if that gets canceled? Will LSAC allow the people who used the "freebie" essentially from the July test to use it later than their mandated April 2020 cut off? If anyone has information please let me know. I am stressing.

Stay safe!!!!