Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

depend on/properly drawn assumption questions #help#

When it comes to necessary/sufficient assumption questions, I used to intuitively get to the right answer. As I am now forcing myself to apply consistent process, I am a bit confused as to how the rules apply. I understand that as a rule of thumb, question stems that feature 'depend on' require necessary assumptions, and those featuring 'properly drawn' require sufficient assumptions. I just wonder where do sufficient-and-necessary assumptions belong? #help#

Comments

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

and those featuring 'properly drawn' require sufficient assumptions

Well, first be careful here. "Which of the following answer choices allows the conclusion to be properly drawn" is a common SA form. But if it asks "The conclusion can only be properly drawn if..." would ask you for a NA. Granted, I'm not sure that second question wording exists on the LSAT, but the point is that you have to understand the stimulus in context. The first one translates to "AC -> Conclusion" ; the second one translates to "Conclusion -> AC".

I just wonder where do sufficient-and-necessary assumptions belong?

To be honest, I'm not sure what you are asking here. Do you mean a theoretical question stem like "Which of the following answer choices allows the conclusion to be properly drawn, and is also required for the conclusion to follow", which would ask for a necessary assumption that is also a sufficient assumption? The LSAT has never asked such a question before, so you wouldn't need to worry about such a question stem. But perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're asking.