Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UF or Emory

jonesk0473jonesk0473 Alum Member

Hi guys,

I have narrowed my law school search down to the final two and I’m having a hard time deciding. I’m hoping maybe there are some people who are familiar with either program and can give me insight.

At Florida I received a full scholarship and a 6k annual stipend. At Emory I received a 171k scholarship to be disbursed over 6 semesters evenly (I estimated I would pay 18k in tuition over three years).

I have visited Emory and absolutely loved Atlanta plus the campus. I could not visit UF due to corona virus. My career goals are to become a judge. I ideally want to secure a federal clerkship out of law school and then work as a public defender or prosecutor. I could see myself working in Atlanta after school but I could not see myself staying in Florida; however, UF will save me up 45k in loans.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Comments

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

If it were me in your shoes, I'd choose Emory. However, both are great schools that most would be proud to attend.

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Have you spoken to alumni or current students in both schools? If you haven't, I would recommend doing that- reach out to admissions and they are usually willing to connect you to existing students. I always found that talking to current students to be very helpful. If you don't anticipate staying in Florida and would prefer Atlanta, then Emory seems like a better fit. Good luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Two very good options here. Does one school know you have a full scholarship offer at the other school?

• jonesk0473jonesk0473 Alum Member
    68 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Two very good options here. Does one school know you have a full scholarship offer at the other school?

Emory is aware of my UF scholarship but would not negotiate higher. I didn’t feel like negotiating at UF would go well bc it is their highest scholarship available as far as I know

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Then I'd want to know which school--or maybe they're similar--could do the most to help you get the internships you hope for.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Id pick Emory