Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I delay law school a year, to get a higher LSAT score?

lsatguru1lsatguru1 Free Trial Member
I recently got into a top 25 law school for Fall 2015 entering class, which is a good regional school. I also am a resident of that state, so I would get lower tuition.

I took the LSAT twice (1st score: 157, 2nd score: 161), but my practice tests had been around 165-167 range, and I was studying while working full time. I am not sure what my true potential is. I am wondering if it would make sense for me to try to retake the LSAT again this coming June, hoping for a score in the 170s, and then delay entering law school for another year so that I can get into a T10 school….OR just start going to school starting this Fall. Note that I’m 35 years old, and already having a professional career, so time isn’t really on my side. I'm trying to balance the advantages of cheaper tuition at a reasonable school, against the possibility of opening up more options by going to a higher ranking school, but waiting an extra year.

If it is worth it to consider retaking the June 2015 LSAT and waiting another year to enter law school, my follow up question would then be, how can I get a good personal assessment of my true potential score, with enough study and practice, and what score is worth retaking for?

Thanks in advance for you any advice!


  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited February 2015 578 karma
    I didn't read your entire post, but based on the question asked in the subject, YES WAIT TO GET HIGHER SCORE. Lsat is 80% of admission decision. Why sell yourself short when you know you can achieve higher score. Law school is always there, it's not going anywhere
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    It is (almost)never a bad idea to retake for a higher score especially if you avg higher than you got... that being said it really depends on what your goals are, if a 161 school can get you where you want (a jd and some small job you have planned or something) then maybe you should just go, but if you feel you can do better, and really want the best job you can get retaking and waiting might be the better idea
  • lsatguru1lsatguru1 Free Trial Member
    5 karma
    Thanks for the advice! Do you think having multiple LSAT scores would weigh down my chances for admission at most T10 schools? I'm thinking that I'd have to at least be testing in the 170s for it to be worthwhile.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Some schools may accept your June LSAT if you've already been accepted. They sometimes even have more money to give to you as well.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    nah, only like 2 schools(US) avg, everyone else takes highest so unless ur shooting for Yale (and stanford?) its fine
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Career goals? How will you be financing the $? I assume you have a decent gpa if you got into a T25 school but if you study for a retake and score really high 165+, you could be looking at almost a fully scholarship at your regional.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    No... you should definitely try for a higher score... because that means not only the best school possible but also higher schol at your regional school. Either ways, this is a WIN WIN situation. Chance at a prestigious school increasing the odds of a prestigious job (age is no bar - I've heard it from people and professors at top schools - one of the perks of spending life collecting degrees including LL.M's) or if you already have one lined up then graduating with substantially less debt from a Top 25 school.
    I was in a position similar to yours last year... I'm turning 33 and I had a 163 on the Dec LSAT in 2013. the only schools I got into were U.C. Irvine ($$), Boston Univ ($), and Boston College. I decided to give the LSAT again, and after 4 points higher on the LSAT, I am planning on going to Georgetown. Had I decided to go to either of those schools, I would have gotten more money. I was actually in talks with one for more money. As far as what your score means...if you are doing it right, your actual score would be +/- 3 of what you are scoring...and if you keep on practicing right with BR, your PT (and actual LSAT) score WILL improve. You have a fair shot at breaking that magic 170 barrier.
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    275 karma
    @"Nilesh S" love how you included a flawed method of reasoning in your response. testament to your LSAT nerdiness. #respect haha
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I would say try for the higher score :) congrats on getting into a school BTW!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    @kingofclubs323 haha residual effects of a traumatic experience... scarred for life, I'd say :D
  • msoliviajmsoliviaj Alum Member
    53 karma
    Awesome scores! I say go for a higher score ... less debt, the better.
Sign In or Register to comment.