Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC: June LSAT-Flex (In-Person Canceled)

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited April 2020 in General 14039 karma

Announcement from LSAC:

• The June 8 in-person LSAT is canceled
  • Instead, registrants can take LSAT-Flex during the week of June 14
  • Expected score release date Tuesday, June 30

Comments

• eramasameramasam Alum Member
    36 karma

is it 3 sections v 5?

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Just a heads up - LSAC is giving another forum about law school & covid today at 1pm ET. They may be able to answer anyone’s questions about this update in the Q&A there

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Another FLEX per the website is 3 sections.

• ram2258ram2258 Alum Member
    26 karma

Is 7-Sage going to create LSAT-Flex exams, with 3 sections?

• cole.davis10cole.davis10 Alum Member
    361 karma

Does anyone know if the June LSAT is still going to be disclosed now that it's a Flex exam?

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    365 karma

@ram2258 said:
    Is 7-Sage going to create LSAT-Flex exams, with 3 sections?

This would be REALLY helpful!!!! @"7Sage Admin"

• Jessica B.Jessica B. Alum Member
    56 karma

@eramasam said:
    is it 3 sections v 5?

Yes, it's 3 sections. One LR, LG, and RC.

• bfc9czbfc9cz Core Member
    48 karma

Here are my notes related to the LSAT Flex from the LSAC webinar about law school & COVID today:
    - Equipment/computer requirements for LSAT Flex can be found here: https://support.proctoru.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011772748-Equipment-Requirements
    - Going beyond June, LSAC is prepared to hold LSAT Flex until restrictions are lifted on gathering in larger groups. They don't want to call July too early, but they will monitor how states' regulations are changing.
    - Don't let technical challenges worry you. If your computer is not reliable, LSAC will work with you. Don't hesitate to contact them with concerns.
    - More information and FAQ can be found here: https://www.lsac.org/update-coronavirus-and-lsat/lsat-flex
    - Each of the three sections (LR, AR/LG, RC) will be equally weighted.

3481 karma

"Yes, it will. However, during 2020-21, the limit will be increased to 4, since the March and April tests had to be cancelled."

^LSAC's response to my question of if the Flex will count toward test limits.

• DjmasterdougDjmasterdoug Alum Member
    30 karma

anyone know how the tests will be seen by admissions people? will this be scored less hard bc of the three sections?

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

@Djmasterdoug My understanding is that since LSAC has said that an individual who gets score X on the LSAT-Flex would get an equivalent score on the regular LSAT, admissions offices are treating them as essentially the same.

• sk144404sk144404 Core Member
    237 karma

@Djmasterdoug I reached out to a bunch of schools (all T14) admissions office to ask this question and the consensus is that the Flex scores will be weighed exactly the same as in-person scores. Most schools responded quickly with the exception of HLS and NYU. I thought it was funny that every school gave me a VERY detailed response to all of the questions I raised except for the last school to reply (NYU.) They literally just copied and pasted a long winded response about their admissions practices that really wasn't exactly relevant to the question I asked followed by one very ambiguous sentence about how they will handle the flex scores.

• sk144404sk144404 Core Member
    237 karma

I am not sure if I completely understand how they will be grading these flex tests but this seems to be my understanding; please correct me if I am mistaken. The test will likely be 75 questions (25/LR,27/RC,23/AR) - multiplying that by 1.34 gets you 100.5 raw score - which is right in the middle of the normal 100-101 deviation.

In my case I normally normally get 23/LR 26/RC 23/AR if those are the first three sections - at the test drags on my performance usually dips a little at the end. Anyway, this would come out to a 96.48 raw score based on my equation which = 178/9 depending on how you calculate it. I really hope this how they calculate (fingers crossed)

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    641 karma

@"cole.davis10" said:
    Does anyone know if the June LSAT is still going to be disclosed now that it's a Flex exam?

Unfortunately, it's no longer disclosed, but not surprised. I anticipated this. August 29 is the next one scheduled to be disclosed (for now).

• fox...11fox...11 Alum Member
    50 karma

i’m projected to take the LSAT in August or October, to send applications in Nov. Anyone recommend also taking LSAT in july in the event it is flex? to prepare...

• cole.davis10cole.davis10 Alum Member
    361 karma

@LivinLaVidaLSAT Thanks for letting me know! I thought that might be the case. Do you guys anticipate the July and August administrations being Flex exams as well? I know its just speculation, but I'm interested to hear people's thoughts.

2891 karma

@"cole.davis10" I am only giving it my best guess, so take it with a grain of salt, but I would be shocked if the July LSAT did not end up being a Flex as well. I think that August would be the first date that has much of a chance of actually going on as a "normal" administration.

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

I'm signed up for the July test and assume it's going to be flex as well. I live in southeast Michigan and doubt there will be in-person tests before fall, and even that may be a stretch unless they open up more testing sites.

• jugolo96jugolo96 Alum Member
    103 karma

Will we be required to use a computer or can we use a tablet if we have one?

5254 karma

Computers only, with some tech specs.

• tvshigjargaltvshigjargal Alum Member
    42 karma

Is LSAT Flex available for international test takers?

• jenellyperezjenellyperez Member
    33 karma

I'm worried about the LSAT Flex because while I see the advantages, it looks like it will hurt students who preform significantly better in the LR section compared to the other two (like me). This is really worrying me, should I not take the LSAT Flex at the risk of scoring several points lower than what im pt'ing? #help

5254 karma

@jenellyperez, Seconding this. I realize the timeline had to be condensed, though am wishing there were trial tests to help see how these things play out before the real game.

• geranminorgeranminor Member
    22 karma

@noonawoon said:
    "Yes, it will. However, during 2020-21, the limit will be increased to 4, since the March and April tests had to be cancelled."

^LSAC's response to my question of if the Flex will count toward test limits.

To be clear, we only get to the LSAT 5 times in total? And the LSAT Flex counts?

• geranminorgeranminor Member
    22 karma

I am curious how they are going to weigh our scores, since we will be tested with fewer questions. And the format can be an advantage or disadvantage to some. I wonder if the percentile will be altered as well.

Anyone else having these thoughts or have the answers?

• legallyconfusedlegallyconfused Alum Member
    350 karma

I'm really worried about taking the LSAT flex in June if it is anything like the LSAT Prep Plus setup. Sometimes during RC, the LSAT Prep Plus has you do a question using specific lines, but the passage isn't even numbered itself!? Am I supposed to count to line 45 myself? Also, sometimes it "teal highlights" for you during an RC question and then sometimes it doesn't. SO nervous. Any thoughts on this? DO you think LSAC knows about the issues the system has on RC?

5254 karma

@legallyconfused, I'm right there with you--lots of questions and hoping they get answered before the test is given.

3481 karma

Has anyone received instructions yet on registration?

• mzhong2014mzhong2014 Core Member
    12 karma

Also wondering if anyone has received instructions for registration -- thanks!

• joshmcneillwebbjoshmcneillwebb Alum Member
    54 karma

Thirding -- anyone know how we're supposed to register for the time we're taking the Flex? Still nothing for me and it's supposed to go live in one minute. Solid work by LSAC.

• juliargaynorjuliargaynor Member
    7 karma

anyone having issues actually scheduling a time on uproctor? it’s saying none of the dates and times are available but i signed on right on the hour

2891 karma

@juliargaynor I finally was able to get through, it took a solid 20+ minutes of just clicking on times and being told over and over that they aren't available. The system works exceptionally poorly, but if you keep doing it over and over again it eventually goes through

• kennedymerrillkennedymerrill Alum Member
    53 karma

What is the institution name when you registered for the account? I’m not able to register for the test, it says there’s no active term available

• juliargaynorjuliargaynor Member
    7 karma

I think the system was overloaded aka what happens any time something big online happens. Thanks for the reply! hope everyone was able to lock in

• calistemguycalistemguy Core Member
    4 karma

@"hermes." said:
    i’m projected to take the LSAT in August or October, to send applications in Nov. Anyone recommend also taking LSAT in july in the event it is flex? to prepare...

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm planning on doing ED to 2 schools too...

• Rev_LefeRev_Lefe Member
    385 karma

For the FLEX format, Is it allow to diagram on a paper of myself while doing the LG section, since test takers don't do LG on a tablet?

• NerfThisNerfThis Alum Member
    edited May 2020 173 karma

@"Leon-on-the-Lsat" said:
    For the FLEX format, Is it allow to diagram on a paper of myself while doing the LG section, since test takers don't do LG on a tablet?

You'll get to use 5 blank sheets of paper. Total 10 pages.

• Rev_LefeRev_Lefe Member
    edited May 2020 385 karma

Thanks a lot, NerfThis!
    Does anyone know whether a stylus pen is allowed for the Flex format?

• 414 karma

@"Leon-on-the-Lsat" said:
    Thanks a lot, NerfThis!
    Does anyone know whether a stylus pen is allowed for the Flex format?

No stylus pen is allowed for Flex. Tablet PCs are not allowed as well; only laptops and desktops. And even if your laptop does provide a tablet mode, you have to use it in the laptop mode.