Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Strategy Advice Needed

JerseyLife49JerseyLife49 Alum Member
in General 95 karma

Hello everyone!

So I have been studying on and off for a bit over a year now. Finally took the plunge and got 7Sage in Oct 2019 (life-changer) but got terribly ill from Nov to Dec (with what I believe was coronavirus, but that is besides the point) and halted my studying during this time. So I feel like I have mainly only been studying since Jan 2020. I work full-time, and now that this pandemic has us all quarantined, I am finding it really difficult to focus on studying with all the commotion in my house. I was going right to either the library or Starbucks everyday after work and that was working for me. Also headed to Starbucks on the weekends typically in the early afternoon, about 3 hours each time (after that my brain gets fried). I was also reading some other discussions on here, and thinking maybe I should try studying in the morning before work.

Another problem I am having is I am only 30% through the CC, still on LR, and I have not studied LG or RC in a whiiile... Do you guys think I should just skip the rest of LR and move to one of the other sections? I just feel weird skipping because I know I will want to return back to the LR question types. What do you think is the best strategy?

Lastly, I was planning on taking the July and August 2020 exams originally, but switched it to be August and Sept when I noticed my studying was slacking since I cannot focus. And now I saw that LSAC removed the Sept LSAT, so I am back to feeling like I should be taking July and Aug. (Aug just in case I do not feel I did well on July.) I really do not want to feel the need to push my second test to Oct 2020 because I know this will delay me starting my applications. I do not plan to start them until after LSAT is done. What do you all think? Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

I would try and go through a bit of LR, LG, and RC each day from the core curriculum. It can be watching lesson videos and taking notes from the videos. After watching the videos, I would try some drill problems on my own in a timed setting and then do the problems again during untimed. Breakdown the stimulus, passage, foolproof games, and explain reasoning during blind review. I would not rush with taking the test and take the time to be more prepared. Message me if you like to discuss any LSAT questions or concepts. Keep on going!!

• JerseyLife49JerseyLife49 Alum Member
    95 karma

Thank you so much for your input! So you think I should take full sections timed first? Or just drill like 10-12 questions, if LR for example? And then take those question sets untimed?

• MiamiLaw2024MiamiLaw2024 Alum Member
    62 karma

Having the same issue! I was originally planning on taking it in July, now I'm thinking August would be better for me although I really don't want to delay my applications either. I also started studying with 7sage in January. PM me if you wanna talk!

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

@JerseyLife49: I think you should drill 10-12 questions from LR sections or just questions from the core curriculum. Do it timed and thorough blind review and see how that goes. I find that can build up to taking full sections when you are more. I would work on fundamentals more before taking a full section.

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

@JerseyLife49 Just wanted to say you're totally not alone; I quit my full-time job to study for the LSAT, in part because going to a coffee shop or the library to study (which I wasn't able to do while working) made a HUGE difference in my ability to focus and actually get this important work done. Right before quarantine, I was averaging -3/LR section and I had a routine that allowed me to dedicate 100% to the LSAT without being fully consumed by the test; nowadays, my LR score has become a lot more inconsistent (potentially also because I graduated from drilling LR sections in the teens into sections in the 20s & 30s in between PTs in the 30s and 40s?). I also find it is much harder to do quality work and get distance between myself mentally from the test since I am always less than 500 feet away from where I study. It's been a struggle but my attitude is that the time I spend at my house, which is loud and disruptive, studying is the perfect training for potentially hectic test center day conditions (ironically).

A routine has been huge for me. Specifically, I have tried to be very diligent about when to break away from the test and relax - i.e. establishing hard boundaries that seem to come effortlessly when there is a routine of going somewhere. The same can be said for boundaries from others when studying, I don't know what your situation is like but I have a sign on my door now for when I am drilling a section or taking a PT that says 'no interruptions please' and everyone knows to not bother me when the sign is up.

Apologize for the rant but just hoping to send some encouragement your way!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

stick with the CC. You have a while. I would do less problem sets from the CC and try to get through the lessons and get to PTs and extensive BR asap