Study Strategy - How often do you study each section?

civnetncivnetn Free Trial Member
in General 148 karma
So far I've been working on LG and LR. I started with Logic Games as I figured this would allow me to develop formal logic skills necessary for LR and RC. I intend to begin RC as the final part of my studying.

One thing I have been finding is that LR/LG/RC all test cognitive skills that need to be maintained through regular practice. Although I supposed "regular" varies from person to person, I personally find a noticeable drop in performance even if I only take a daylong break from a section. In other words, if I want to maintain my skills level in each section I HAVE to practice that section each day.

I'm finding this makes spending any large amount of time on any one section difficult.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I think this really depends on what stage of your studying you’re at. You’ve definitely got to focus at the beginning. I found that LR skills applied across the board, so I focused really heavily there. Once I stared feeling good there, I took off for a few weeks to complete the Games curriculum, and once I finished that I returned to LR, but added some Games fool proofing into my daily routine- at least one section a day.

Now I’m more into my PT/BR study phase, so I hit up each section with each PT. I still fool proof games and do a few drills for LR and RC, but my PT and BR schedule dominates my studies more than anything else these days.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I try to see all sections in some form on a given day, even if that means one game, one passage, or 10 LR questions. However, my primary focus changes based on what I needed to work on based on my performance the day prior.
  • civnetncivnetn Free Trial Member
    148 karma
    Interesting! I mean, how you study and in what order is really going to depend on your individual strengths and weaknesses. I mean, if you have a strong formal logic background or just find logic games easier, you might not want to start with LG. Personally, like I said, I found logical games to be the most logical area to start simply because ALL other sections require formal logic, which is predominant in the LG section.

As for studying each day, you're probably right and it depends at what level you're at. It's funny because if I take a day or 2 off LG's, I'll come back and in some cases not even be able to get through a basic sequencing game in the required time. But the skill comes back insanely quickly!

I find logic games more difficult though because I don't think you can really take just 1 or 2 games and say "I studied for logic games for today." Because there are so many different types of games that require different skills - basic sequencing, grouping, in-out, etc. Whereas in any given LR section you have exposure to a variety of different question types.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    Hmm that seems like a sign to me that you might not fully be understanding the material. You should be able to take a 24 hour break and be OK.

How are your BR scores?