Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge discrepancy between on screen vs. on paper

clairelexclairelex Free Trial Member
in General 17 karma

I'm seriously struggling with taking tests/reading on a computer screen. There's at least 10 point decrease in all 4 sections when I take the test online compared to when I take it on paper. I'm registered for July and August LSAT and honestly am not sure if I can improve my scores by then when I'm struggling this much. Losing all the confidence here!

Comments

• cmwilliams585cmwilliams585 Alum Member
    110 karma

Reading on the computer can be hard on the eyes for a lot of people - you might be able to get an accommodation such that you'd be able to take it on paper? Otherwise the fact that you score 10+ point higher on paper means you do know the material itself, so I'm sure with more practice reading on the computer you can get your score back up 10 points!

• EddieMEddieM Alum Member
    279 karma

For what it's worth @clairelex, I had that same experience at first but then pretty quickly saw it normalize. Try experimenting with different font sizes, line spacing settings---I ended up settling on extra large-sized font for LR and LG, and medium + double-spaced for RC. Sounds crazy, I know, but I really felt it helped me accomplish the tasks required for each section... or maybe it was just all mental, Idk haha.

But good luck! Have faith that with familiarity will come normalization; you know how to read and you know the material, and the more you use a screen to do LSAT stuff, the less distracted you'll be by the switch.

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

@clairelex I had some issues adjusting from paper to screen as well and the adjustment is definitely understated in terms the difficulty. I've been using the screen now for ~2 months so speaking a little bit from the other end of the tunnel and I have to say that I prefer the digital WAY more now.

Between the extra-time gained from not bubbling, the certainty of not mis-bubbling an answer, and instant analytics on the backend (at least during PTs and section reviews), it's invaluable.

If not, there are accommodations as someone mentioned above.

• mejohns1mejohns1 Alum Member
    8 karma

I had the same issue. Blue light glasses helped tremendously. I found that my eyes were getting tired which affected my ability to concentrate. I got mine at Target for about 20 dollars. Make sure that they are specifically for the computer screen as many similar types of glasses you can buy off the shelf are strictly for reading without blue light protection.

• clairelexclairelex Free Trial Member
    17 karma

@cmwilliams585 @EddieM @ahnendc-1 @mejohns1 Thanks so much for all your help guys!! I should definitely try getting the blue light glasses @mejohns1

• SandwichelleSandwichelle Alum Member
    234 karma

I agree with what’s been said and I’d like to add my own experience to offer help! I ordered the blue light glasses with a very light (0.25) magnification, I use these in addition to using predominantly one eye, closing the other eye and using a pencil to underline while reading! This has been very helpful for RC and longer LR passages and AC’s. I’m back to practicing LG’s on paper at the moment which is again emphasizing my preference for paper... but we must adapt!! Try several things! You’ll find something that works!

• rkim5297rkim5297 Alum Member
    105 karma

I am really glad that I am not the only one who is struggling with screen. I prefer paper myself...so I have a question. Are we allowed to wear blue light glasses while I am taking the exam? I know this sounds kinda dumb...it will be my first time taking the LSAT period. I may be investing on it since others are talking so positively about it. (I don't wear glasses normally) Also, to give you some tips, I also have been just trying to take the test online at this point for PTs here. While I'm solving LGs, I am making sure I have a scratch paper with me so that I can still diagram things rather than on my head... Same thing for RC. I am trying to write quick notes on what I just read. I hope this helps? But I really like the font size idea. I may try that!

• mhf.andrewmhf.andrew Member
    207 karma

The American Optometric Association recommends the twenty-twenty- twenty rule, which consists of every twenty minutes taking your eyes off the computer screen, and looking twenty feet in the distance for twenty seconds. Although the LSAT satisfies the AOA's recommendation of taking a fifteen minute break within a two hour period, the LSAT falls far short of satisfying the 20-20-20 rule. During a five-section LSAT, the LSAT taker needs to ignore this advice seven times. Moreover, this advice is not given simply as preventative advice for long term consequences, as the AOA lists, among other things, headaches and back pain as a possible immediate consequence of looking for too long at a computer. And this varies for the individual, so there is some reason to believe that some are more disadvantaged than others from prolonged eye exposure.
    As a personal note, my score dipped on the digital, but then returned back to normal, and is now on the uphill. But I am not everyone, so if you do feel symptoms during the PTs, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to ask for an accommodation. Sure you could spend hundreds of dollars on glasses, but why should you? As LSAT is asking that you violate expert recommendations, it should be on them to accommodate the test taker who is already paying hundreds of dollars for the test.

Sorry if this was wordy. Best wishes!