Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In need of advice for LR/Loophole!

lsattaker101lsattaker101 Alum Member
in General 20 karma

I have been averaging -7 per section on LR for over a month so I decided to read the Loophole. I have practiced her methods but I am still missing the same number of questions. I understand all of the question types and what I should be looking for but I always fall for the trap answer choice. I also have a hard time finishing an entire LR section in time (1-2 left at the end). I am taking the June test and would like to know the best way to proceed in order to get at least a couple more LR questions right!

Comments

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited June 2020 4572 karma

I don't know your full situation, but you're saying that you're falling for trap answer choices. That leads me to think that you might be reading too fast and not giving your mind enough time to process the complex writing the LSAT uses.

Remember that the LSAT purposefully writes in ways and designs questions in ways specifically to get us to mess up and choose their trap answer choices. When you read too fast, you are more likely to fall into their traps. To fight against their complex language, take your time when you read on the LSAT. Use that time to internalize and understand what the writers are actually saying, instead of what you might think they are saying. You are highly more likely to spot traps this way than you are rushing through the writing. You need to be on guard and aware on all parts of the questions. Not just the stimulus, but also the answer choices. And even question stems sometimes are full of traps!

You may think that reading slower will make your time go up, but actually, the exact opposite has happened for me. When I started reading slower and engaging with the text, I found that I understood it better and it allowed me to be more aggressive and move on much more quickly, because I wasn't wallowing between two answer choices or going back and rereading the stimulus anymore, which are huge time sinks.