Foolproofing Personal Practices/Tips?

changejudgechangejudge Member
in Logic Games 72 karma

Starting to foolproof logic games, and I'm wondering what other people's personal practices are for the process (i.e. how many games do you do per day, do you wait until you've mastered a game before you start a new one, or do you rotate between a few while mastering them, etc.) I can't help but feel like I'm neglecting other sections of the test by devoting so much time to only LG, so I'm also wondering if y'all do different section types during a study day. Any details you can provide or tips about the process would be super helpful!

Comments

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    edited June 2020 656 karma

Slow and steady has been what worked for me, depending on your natural aptitude for games, and how fast you learn them may take more or less effort. I have had periods where I studied games for weeks at a time. The number I can knock out in a day depends on my performance. For game sections I have mastered I can do 8-10 sections per day (timed), for others it can be just a few sections if there’s games or whole sections I get stuck on. I repeat over and over again. I wouldn’t say I have had the most concise study plan ever, because surely people can get great results with far less effort, perhaps it’s my perfectionism or just plain ineptitude that I’m trying to combat. My average is -3 at present for the section (timed), my process has been as follows:

1. Practice games untimed, by type, working in order of level of difficulty (easier and medium level games perfected first), then devoting more time to optimizing miscellaneous/curveball games only after having mastered the easy and medium games with 100% accuracy. Watch videos. Repeat over and over again, without timing. I know 7Sage says 1-35, I did all up to 50, in sets of 10, cycling, keeping a log of my performance.

2. Introducing timing, doing full individual sections. I have worked through nearly all of the games (save for the remaining fresh ones from full PTs). I do this in digital problem sets, setting incremental goals. If there’s any game I mess up on, I repeat it untimed, watching videos if necessary. Then I reattempt it as a part of a whole section. I believe the unit of time per section functions as a whole unit, doing games isolated wasn’t indicative of my time distribution when 4 games are presented in a timed set.

3. I keep track of the games that give me the most trouble, revisit a few days later, randomly reattempting the whole section they are in. The goal is to see if how to do the games have stuck after a week, two weeks or a month plus later. This really shows me whether or not I know how to do the game.

I definitely want to master easier and medium games before moving on. Games are all repetitive or some combination of one another, with different variables. Learning how to conquer a few will transfer to subsequent ones, as that same idea is what will allow you to do well on games on test day. I worked on games exclusively for months, as with LR and RC, before cycling timed sections, drills and then full PTs. I have a list of troublesome games that is withering away, I do a couple sections of games per day, equal to the number of other section types I work on. It depends on how long you are studying for, your actual performance/ goals, how far out you are from test day in order to determine whether you want to take a shortcut or a long haul, extensive route.