Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monday LSAT vs pushing past low 170s

til354567til354567 Member
in General 53 karma

Hi - I know this is a nice problem to have but I am looking for advice on if it makes sense to move from June to July LSAT. I am registered for both but hope to take once with highest score possible. My study schedule and overview of PTs are below. I am feeling a bit exhausted but also have always had a shoot your shot mentality and would not hate being done with LSAT on Monday.

My question is how much can I expect to improve if I take a few days to decompress this weekend and then refine with PTs 79-84 doing 1-2 a week for next few weeks? This would probably involve me taking LSAT time down from 80% of time to 30-50%. Would it be typical (expected?) for a test taker with below level of scores to move up to more consistent high 170s? Or does the below pattern indicate an end to realistic improvement. Thank you and good luck to everyone jamming on this stuff.

Overview of studies:
I moved through LSAT trainer in about 1 month while picking and choosing core curriculum lessons as I felt it was needed. I started PT'ing at the the start of June scoring:
April 15 - May 31: LSAT trainer and core curriculum
June onward PT and blindreview:
76 - 169 (173)
77 - 168 (171)
78 - 173 (174)
79-83: saved
84 - 171 (171)
85 - 168 (172)
86 - 169 (170)
87 - 171 (172)
88 - 169 (176)
89 - 173 (173)

I can go -0 in an given section but tend to have one section always go -3 to -5... Timing is improving especially on LR (maybe 5 minutes at end and getting better). RC is always tighter for time. LG has most variability.

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Honestly high 170s is p unlikely. I pt around you maybe one point less on average. I think you can get consistent 170s no more high 160s though if you really take testing and BR seriously

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

I would strongly recommend taking both June and July (if necessary). You have already paid for both, and there is a chance things go your way in June (especially on flex). Not only do schools not care about multiple takes but the LSAT Flex also does not count against your LSAC test limit. Furthermore, you would gain "test day" experience, which can be crucial.

To answer your question, you may be able to get up to the high 170s with the right effort and approach. This would probably not happen by July though.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

https://www.velocitylsat.com/resources/law-school-multiple-lsat-score-policies

Many schools do care about multiple takes in their evaluations!

I'm not advising you either way, I just keep reading "schools don't care about multiple takes" and that doesn't seem to be an across the board opinion.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2020 8318 karma

https://www.velocitylsat.com/resources/law-school-multiple-lsat-score-policies

Many schools do care about multiple takes in their evaluations!

Standard grain of salt for a non-expert opinion, but I've seen that post thrown around and I believe it's more so that most schools aren't going to come out and say sure we see your other scores but don't care about them... LSAC provides us this data but IDGAF 'cuz medians. I know Dave Killoran has directly confirmed certain schools mentioned in that post as only caring about the high score despite what it says there.

Does that mean other scores are of absolutely no consequence? Of course not. Schools, not to mention individual reviewers, can and will do whatever they want. Even if it were an across the board policy that only the high score was to be considered for admissions, you can't deny the subjective potential appeal of an application with a single 180 vs an identical app with a 160, 165, 170, 180. That would hold true even if they didn't even see the scores, but just saw that you did the test more than once. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we know ranking is the primary drive behind maintenance of medians, medians are the primary drive behind admissions decisions, and only the high score matters for medians. If I get into NYU with a 120 and a 180, you can bet no matter what they say, they aren't reporting a 150. IMO, while one and done is preferable in a vacuum, I'd take the extra scores if it allows me to max out my potential. So while any complete analysis of admissions decisions factors would find favor in being able to have a single high score, I think the benefit of even a point increase is worth having an extra take on record.

Plus as a adcomm balancing filling a class and yield, are you really going to dump a four-try 178 (average 160 something) over say a one shot 173? Or a score that tops your 75th that looks very favorable for matriculation but took 3 tries?

• SmothermanSmotherman Alum Member
    88 karma

How was it?