Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT 79 S4 Q25

cmwilliams585cmwilliams585 Alum Member
edited June 2020 in Logical Reasoning 110 karma

Question about chest-playing programs.

I'm confused as to how this method can be used to compare chess-playing programs - to get the question right it seemed like you needed to know that you are only comparing one chess playing program to itself (there is no second program you are comparing to)? I'm having a hard time understanding how/why you would compare 1 chess playing program to itself run on two different computers.

Any insight?

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-79-section-4-question-25/

Comments

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    edited June 2020 365 karma

I feel like the first line where they talk about comparing two different chess playing programs is just a distraction to get you thinking about comparing different programs.

But as you read on they only talk about comparing the same program on different computers.
    Your question as to why?
    just a made up scenario to your question why you would compare 1 program on different computers...It provides slightly different output depending on the computer.

Example: It seems that my friend always has a better chance of winning than me.. My friend says it is because he is better than me but we want to rule out it is not because of computer speed allowing him to win...so we test same program- diff computers. then we find out it is because my friend's computer is faster than mine- meaning it can examine more moves and hence increases his chances of winning even though same program.

Edit: made it less confusing

• cmwilliams585cmwilliams585 Alum Member
    110 karma

Ah that makes so much more sense - thank you so much!