Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keeping Academic Recommenders on "Retainer"

aszane21aszane21 Member
edited June 2020 in Law School Admissions 350 karma

Hi all,

I'm currently aiming to apply to law schools in October 2021 once I complete a two-year term policy research position. For those who are planning/have planned their applications more than a year out, how do you keep academic recommenders engaged. I graduated in May 2019 so it will be over 2 years since my last class. I have a professor whose course I took back in sophomore year (2016) who was also the director of my academic program who I still have somewhat of a relationship w/ (I've been really bad at staying in touch with old professors) and she's written me a letter of rec for an internship this past winter.

If I want her to write me a letter of rec for law school in 2021, how do I maintain the relationship? My current thinking is to let her know my plans and basically ask if she'd be willing to write me the letter in two years, then maybe try to follow up every few months or so. Would it be appropriate/advisable to suggest that she draft the letter now, just to have it handy?