Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

180! Thank you J.Y.

henrylxixhenrylxix Member

Can’t believe it really happened, I had given up on the LSAT twice in the last 5 years and my last real score was a 167. Absolutely could not have pulled this off without those LG videos. Thanks J.Y.!

Comments

• seriouslyseriously Alum Member
    199 karma

Congratulations!!! That's so inspiring. If you have a second, would you mind going into a little bit of detail about your study strategy/what your improvement trajectory looked like?

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14017 karma

@henrylxix That's incredible. Congratulations!

• henrylxixhenrylxix Member
    89 karma

@seriously I started by reading the Fox Primer and that gave me a good handle on the format of the whole test from the very beginning - my scores after that were in the mid-high 160s consistently. After that it was a matter of perfecting games. I worked through the entire LG Bible, repeating games several times when I struggled. From there I started getting low 170s but would still mess up LG sections pretty badly and drop down into the 160s every once in a while. What got me really consistent PTing at 175+ was a few weeks of drilling a section or two of LG a day and immediately watching JY's LG videos and working through what I'd done wrong. I worked through games from PT30ish to PT70ish like that and then was consistently -0/-2 on games. At that point I PT'd anywhere from 173-180 and it was just a matter of reviewing, watching 7sage videos for RC passages and LR questions I struggled with, and trying to stay in a good headspace/not start getting desperate when a test felt like it wasn't going well. Hope this helps!

• sickomodesickomode Member
    142 karma

congratulations!!!

• ChloeeeeChloeeee Member
    135 karma

Congratulations! :blush:

• lsat2016lsat2016 Free Trial Member
    edited June 2020 488 karma

@henrylxix said:
    Can’t believe it really happened, I had given up on the LSAT twice in the last 5 years and my last real score was a 167. Absolutely could not have pulled this off without those LG videos. Thanks J.Y.!

could you elaborate on how you prepped, how long, when you began, previous scores, # of PTs etc, and "LSAT twice in the last 5 years"?

somewhat in a similar boat. have a low 17x official score from paper-based test days years ago and considering retake.

• henrylxixhenrylxix Member
    89 karma

@lsat2016 I started studying for the LSAT in late 2015 when I was in college, really only read the Fox Primer and then took 5 PTs over the course of two months that were in the range of 165-169, took the real thing, got a 167, and decided not to go to law school.

In late 2017, I started studying for the LSAT again because I wanted a career change. Over the course of another month or two I worked throught the Logic Games Bible and accompanying workbook (my only problem at this point was logic games). I took 2 or 3 practice tests and was very inconsistent in the 165-173 range. Didn't feel like I was progressing the way I wanted to, gave up.

This year a number of personal factors led me to be extremely motivated to apply to law school. I worked back through the Logic Games bible over the course of two weeks, took 5 PTs that again were inconsistent in the 165-173 range, but this time was determined to perfect games as it was the only thing creating inconsistency for me. I spent about a month only drilling full games sections (usually one or two sections per day but sometimes as many as four on a day I wasn't working). I watched JY's videos for every game and reworked the ones I struggled with. After that, over the course of another month and a half I would go back and redo games sections I struggled on, do recent reading sections and watch videos for them, and watch videos for LR problems I found hard on full-length PTs. Throughout this entire period I was taking 2 full length PTs a week with an average of 175 (and across the last 10, like 178). I took 21 PTs total - every PT from 72-89 plus 63 and 66. I randomized the PT order but most people recommend taking them in order.