Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accommodation Questions: Official Diagnosis? Psychiatrist vs Psychologist?

d.h.isaisd.h.isais Member
in General 113 karma

Hello All!

I am considering applying for accommodations based on severe panic attacks that I often get while testing (in addition to other situations). I have a few questions regarding the requirements:

Question 1: Do I need an official diagnosis?

My primary doctor has been treating my condition. She understands that I have General Anxiety and panic attacks, but she has never given me an official diagnosis. Instead, she just keeps refilling/monitoring my two prescriptions—one for the general anxiety and one for the acute panic attacks.

Do you think that I could get accommodations without a diagnosis based on a letter from my primary doctor supporting my request? Or, is an official diagnosis necessary?

If it helps, I also have a therapist who has been treating me and she has agreed to write a letter on my behalf.

Question 2: Is a diagnosis from a Psychiatrist better than a diagnosis from a Psychologist?

If I do end up needing an official diagnosis, does it matter whether I have one from a Psychologist VS a Psychiatrist? Do you think that either of them might be seen as more authoritative?

Thank you all in advance for any input!