Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book recommendation for literature knowledge

DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
edited July 2020 in Reading Comprehension 591 karma

Hi everyone! I would like to hear some suggestions on books for learning (American) literature knowledge. I'm an ESL and have never learned anything about American literature. I'm fine with RC passages that talk about literature since the pattern is quite obvious, but I feel like even if I understand the argument, there are always a lot of concepts in the passages that I just don't know and they're just some meaningless nouns to me. This makes the passages quite boring. For example, different kinds of devices, poetic forms, sonnet, couplet, quatrain, imagery, folk narrative, different genres of literature. I genuinely want to learn them, so that next time I read a literature passage, they would be more like real things in real life to me. And reading those passages would be more fun. Any advice is welcomed! Thanks!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe James Baldwin?

• PTprayersPTprayers Member
    23 karma

Foucault and Derrida are great for understanding the complex literary terms they use in RC, but you wanna go for more narrative based authors of different cultural heritage to get a better understanding of the literary traditions that RC likes to explore.