Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for tips for night time slots for International Flex

edited July 2020 in General 60 karma

Hey guys, so having signed up for a slot for International Flex with ProctorU, it seems like both LSAC and ProctorU are operating in US time zones.

In my case, for AEST, my available slots were between 6pm to 7am, and I signed up for a 7:20pm one.

I've never taken a night time standardized test, I've noticed that my timed PTs are scoring 5-7 marks below my morning averages.

Any tips on how to prepare for this kind of timing?

Comments

• DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
    591 karma

Same issue for me. I'm gonna sleep in the afternoon + coffee.

• 60 karma

@DINOSAUR have you tried this yet? If yes, does it work?

Because I've finally adjusted a perfect sleep cycle for morning exams, now it seems like I might also try to reset that sleep cycle to best match my exams times again...

edited July 2020 591 karma

I'm still trying to find the time that my brain works best. My option is 8:30pm-4:30am. I tried to sleep in the afternoon and take an exam at 8:30pm, it was worse than my morning performance, but not as horrible as a 5-7 point drop. I also tried to wake up at 3:50am and take a test at 4:30am, actually I think it works better for me haha. But I am worried I won't be able to fall asleep very early the night before the test. So actually I'm still not sure what time I want to take the test.

591 karma

But yeah it sucks. I don't know why we have to go through this. So unfair.

• BibimbobBibimbob Member
    40 karma

I have that problem, too. I'm trying to wake up later than usual so that I don't get kind of exhausted/tired when taking the actual test. I also scored lower when I took a prep test last night. I am hoping that I will get used to with taking one at night.

• peachjampeachjam Core Member
    5 karma

Same for me. I'm still mad about it. I reached out to LSAC last Friday because I thought it was an error. They had me forward my sign-up email to someone and said they were looking into it. Doubt they'll actually change anything though. Have any of you guys already contacted and heard back from LSAC? What day are you guys scheduled for? I got the 17th...

edited July 2020 591 karma

@peachjam I wanted to make sure what I want before reaching out to the LSAC, for example I want to move my time to 4:30am or I want to get a voucher. So when they ask me what I would like to do I can tell them firmly. But I think you're right. We totally have every right to be mad at it and we should all call them to tell them how mad we are and they have to change this! This is unacceptable! Thank you! I'll call them today!

• 60 karma

I'll call them up today too. Yeah, this timing is pretty unacceptable for sure! And @peachjam I got 17th too... Which I think its ok, a tad more time to adjust...

5 karma

@DINOSAUR I think that's a good idea for us to all call them. When I called, the rep mentioned that another international student had also called with the same issue. I feel like the more of us that call, the more likely they are to respond to it. It's just so unfair to give us weird time zones, especially when we already have fewer test dates...let me know what they say!

@"wilson.hsu.1115" Yeah, that's true. I didn't really mind the later date, but I was definitely surprised when I first saw it haha

edited July 2020 5 karma

Saw you guys mention you were also running into the international time slot issues in another thread and wanted to tag y'all!

@"christina.parchem" @Elichunks @hd977

• 60 karma

Soo, I just called them and at first they were like "oh we have a lot of test takers, so many people will inevitably have to take the test in late afternoons and at night." After that they told me they would get in touch with someone that could help and get back to me.

Tbh after that call, it does seem that they aren't be super inclined to shift timing, but who knows! Maybe if all of us call them, they'll get the message?

• Kris4444Kris4444 Member
    266 karma

@peachjam thanks! Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't know how much contacting them will do. I mean they must have realized what this meant for international time zones beforehand, right? I agree it's incredibly unfair, especially with the limited test dates offered to us. Maybe if October is Flex we can try to get them to fix things by then...

• ElichunksElichunks Member
    69 karma

@peachjam Honestly, having dealt with College Board throughout high school, I'm just used to how terribly these exam boards treat international students so I don't have much hope like @"christina.parchem" but I would still be up for sending them a complaint email.

• chilli.padichilli.padi Alum Member
    30 karma

Only slot I could sign up for was at 8:20pm on the 12th or 8:10pm on the 11th. International test-taker here, too. Taking my first night PT tomorrow to see how it shakes out.