Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should you write low res summaries on the actual exam?

lsattinglsatting Alum Member

When practicing the memory method, J.Y. advocates writing 1-5 word "low res" summaries for each paragraph on RC. Given that this takes very minimal time, is it recommended to do this on the scratch paper during the real test? Or is it simply an exercise for helping build memory? #help

Comments

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2020 1866 karma

I tended to write it down! If it was a super simple passage with a basic structure and clear main ideas, I'd sometimes just keep it in my head. But it was reassuring to write it down (especially recommended if you're someone who tends to forget or mix-up information under pressure), and it didn't actually take much time in practice. Just make sure you don't spend too much time deciding on what to write for your low-res; you want to get proficient at coming up with it quickly regardless of whether you choose to keep it in your head or write it down.

Edit: On a side note I never used to annotate/highlight anything else (so the only writing I did was the low-res)

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    edited July 2020 3481 karma

It really depends on you. Try doing passages both ways and see which one helps you retain information better. I never wrote anything down for RC and that worked better for me.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I dont write down, highlight, or mark anything, and thats when I found my RC to get to the -2 average