Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June 2015 Study Buddy!

blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
edited March 2015 in General 3545 karma
I'm looking for an accountability study partner who wants to study along with me! I hope this doesn't come off as completely obnoxious but bulleted lists help me more than one giant block of text so here goes:

About Me: I've been studying for the LSAT for about a year now. I took February and scored a 166, which was 5/6 points below my PT average of 171/172 (high of 177, low of 168) and well below my BR score of 175+.

My Major Weakness:
(1) Review: I think I have a fairly solid understanding of the fundamentals. I did not review as thoroughly as I should have and paid the price on test day.
(2) Beating the brain fog: Still trying to up my mental endurance so my "off" day is no lower than my average.

My Plan: I'm going to have a cycle of (1) PT (2) review (3) drill. I'm going to actually force myself to do a very thorough review where I write out my thought process for EVERY question along with explanations for why an answer is right or wrong. The review and write-up part is super time-consuming (sample/incomplete write-up: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ivGS3XS6FSydAmNLouyewDIO9f_LmPHVEbofnuHZHJw/edit?usp=sharing), especially because I try super hard not to let myself use the words "irrelevant" or "just completely wrong." This practice forces me to really think about WHY an answer is right/wrong.

Current Schedule: Starting all the way back at PT1 and trying to make my way towards PT74 by June. Finished PT1, scored 176 (RC: -2, LG: -1, LR: -4) and reviewing every single question. Going to take a 1/2 days to complete my review and drill some games, passages, and timed LR sections and then take PT2 on Thursday/Friday.

Where You Can Come In: What I think would be most helpful for me (and hopefully you if you're up for it) is to have somebody else also do a write-up so we can see the overlap between our analyses. Typically, when we take PTs and drill, we eliminate questions because certain "triggers" in the stimulus tip us off. However, once we see 1 trigger, we tend to move on and say, "Aha! That's the reason why this answer choice is wrong." The reality that I've come to realize is that the LSAT has multiple triggers in a given stimulus. Seeing what triggers other people to identifying the correct response would broaden our understanding of not just a specific question but question types and hone our logical reasoning as a whole.

So, any takers? :)

BONUS: If you're based in Orange County, it'd be so great to study in person! I'm looking at you @ddakjiking

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Sounds solid--review is also my weakness. I'm still waiting for my PT 1-28 to come in the mail but once I get em I might reach out to see where you're at. PS I fled SoCal for the Promised Land (The Great State of Texas, the greatest country in America) but dig your approach (I've been studying since July). Score around the same range as you but aiming for the prize.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I have pdfs of PT 1-28, if you'd like them. It'd be nice to have someone equally motivated and on the same track. Keep me posted!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah -- sent you a PM. check your inbox!