Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timed score vs. BR score

tmac1293tmac1293 Member
edited August 2020 in General 51 karma

What do you guys make of your BR score? Do you see your BR score as your potential timed score or is there always going to be a margin of difference between timed and BR? On my second PT I got a 156 timed, and 168 BR, so a 12 point differential. Have you guys found that you are able to close the gap between the two scores over time? Is there like a goal differential I should be setting for myself, such as 5 points or something?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I don't necessarily see it as a potential timed score because ultimately the time pressure is always going to be there on a real test. I view it more as a gauge of how well I understand the material and how much review I need to do. If my BR was below maybe 175-180 then I would feel like I had gaps in my understanding or didn't spend enough time on the BR. You're only on your second PT so a 168 BR is okay, but spending more time on the BR and seriously deliberating every question is very useful. If you don't already, write out your reasoning to every LR and RC question and write out why you picked one answer choice over another.

Sometimes the "gap" stays the same because as your understanding increases, both your timed score and BR score will increase. So I would say don't necessarily worry about the exact number of the gap - if your next PT is 168 timed and 180 BR you're in pretty good shape, even though it's the same 12 point differential. As your BR score increases and stays high, your PT score will naturally increase because things will click under time pressure much more quickly.

• tmac1293tmac1293 Member
    edited August 2020 51 karma

@noonawoon said:
    As your BR score increases and stays high, your PT score will naturally increase because things will click under time pressure much more quickly.

That's what I'm hoping. I feel like my understanding of the concepts keeps going up, and I expect to start achieving BR scores in the 175-180 range. What's really holding me back is my ability to complete the sections under the time restraint. I do really well at LR and RC, but typically bomb LG. However, when I do blind review I end up getting almost the whole section correct. The problem is I don't make the inferences quickly enough. Then I panic when the rules don't start clicking together and it becomes even harder.

I think I'll be able to complete the logic games more quickly if I can understand the different types and sub-types of games better and how to diagram them (instead of staring blankly at the screen and thinking "this game is weird.")