Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flaw questions

christinagomez7738christinagomez7738 Alum Member
in General 120 karma

Hi guys LR is my most consistent section but it seems like the questions I always get wrong are flaw questions. I’ve already been over the flaw curriculum in 7Sage so many times and still having issues anyone know any other resources for those types or advice? Also for those of you taking the flex at the end of this month are you changing up your studying since it’s getting close? I’ve decided to simulate flex tests as much as possible just to get used to the timing and flow because like I said LR is my saving grace so now I have to make sure I’m quicker and better in LG and RC since I won’t have the extra LR points to rely on.

Any tips on RC? I’ve improved but still my worst section. If u have noticed any patterns in wrong/right answer choices for RC please tell me my brain gets the LR ones but still not as good in RC really could use tips like desperately haha

Comments

• 310 karma

I would read Ellen Cassidy’s loophole. Did wonders for me with flaw questions.

And as someone who took the flex, definitely use the simulator. You need to be doing whatever you can to prepare yourself for your actual test day, so only do the 3 sections instead of the non-flex 5. Get as proficient as you can in the FLEX “flow” as possible.

No real tips on RC except for JY’s low res method. Concentrate on asking: “what is the point of this sentence? Why did the author write this - what position does it have in relation to the passage as a whole?”

• DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
    edited August 2020 591 karma

For RC, I would come up with a very short main point (just a few words) after I read a paragraph, then link up the main points of each paragraph after I read the next paragraph. This helps me see how the ideas are connected in the overall structure of the passage. And RC answer choices are tricky, read carefully and really ask yourself what the answer choice means. After you translate the answer choice into a clearer language, try to support it first instead of finding reasons why it is wrong because correct but tricky answer choices won't sound good to you unless you try to see it in another way.

For flaw questions, I found that as long as I follow the two-step process -- first, is it descriptively accurate? second, is it the flaw? -- they are actually not hard. I can eliminate many answer choices because they are not even descriptively accurate. Then I would carefully evaluate the flaw described in the remaining answer choices.

For LG, just try to be careful! Read every rule carefully and check them twice! Visualize how the rules interact with each other and find out the most restrictive rules and make inferences or splits upfront if you think this can save you lots of trouble later on.

Hope this helps!