Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In Need of Advice...

Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
edited August 2020 in General 541 karma

Hi everyone,

So I am currently registered for the August Flex. I've been studying since May and I've averaged a 154 across 7 prep tests post CC and this has been while avoiding guesswork as much as possible- if I don't get to a question, I just leave it blank.

Generally I miss around 20 or so questions per PT. This includes an entire RC passage, an entire LG and probably 5-7 LR questions.

With my GPA I really only need a 157 or 158 to have a good chance of being admitted to a Canadian Law School.

My thinking is that even now, were I just to guess on those last 20 or so questions, I would come very close to these scores. This is without factoring in any improvement I see by August. Then of course there's the test day penalty to consider as well...

I am really at loss of what to do here. I'm not sure whether I should just go for this cycle, write in August and potentially again in October/November, or whether I should take as much time as I need and just apply for the following cycle.

For reference, I'm averaging around -8 on LR, -9/-10 on LG and a paltry -11 on RC right now (I've neglected RC quite a bit up to this point.)

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice because honestly I am at a loss right now.

Comments

• vhumenyuk-1vhumenyuk-1 Member
    107 karma

Hey there,
    It looks like you have a lot to improve on LG section. The good news are that for the most people it is typically the easiest section to improve on in a relatively short period of time. You need to be very consistent and pay attention to your mistakes to make these improvements happen.

The RC, on the other hand, is typically the hardest section to improve on. It also requires a lot more time and exposure to it than does a LG section.

The best suggestion is, therefore: drill LGs using JY's method.
    https://7sage.com/lesson/fool-proof-guide-to-perfection-on-logic-games/

Also, make sure you check your analytics section after doing full PTs. That's where you can see what are you weaknesses in LR and LG especially, what types of questions you get wrong most of the time and what are the question types that you're best at.
    Finally, perseverance, dedication and right approach can do a lot.

• Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
    541 karma

@vhumenyuk-1
    Thanks! Would you say at this point I should set RC aside focus all my energy on LG/LR?

• vhumenyuk-1vhumenyuk-1 Member
    107 karma

Setting RC aside is not a good idea. Doing even a single passage a day is much better than doing none. I would also suggest to cover the most recent passages, though, just so that you can get more familiarity with their new vocabulary, newest trap answer choices, etc. So, continue doing at least some RC.
    Have you covered a CC section on RC with JY already?

With an LR, try first to find out what are the question types that you are most comfortable with. Track your timing and accuracy on this specific types and try to prioritize these certain question types under timed conditions.

What I would also do is I would still work on plan B. Even if you reach your goal score (which I sincerely hope for), it might still be worth considering retaking the LSAT either closer to the end of the year or even next year and, thus, skipping this cycle. However, the point is that most likely you will not reach your full potential within the next few weeks. However, if you learn to pay attention to your mistakes and consistently work on improving your weak areas, you might be able to break into 160s + within the next few months or even sooner. This is totally up to you, of course, but investing more time into LSAT prep will give you an opportunity to increase your chances of being admitted at your dream school (schools) and receiving more scholarship money.

This is not an easy decision, I know. That's what I had to decide on as well and it does pay off at the end of the day.

• Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
    541 karma

@vhumenyuk-1 Thanks for the detailed response- you've given some great insight here and it's appreciated.

I will certainly take your advice and keep up the RC with a couple passages each day. I have done most of one RC section in C.C, though it's only the "intro section" so it's the easier passages.

I'll mix in some targeted LR practice as well.

Thanks man!