Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Policy Wonks Out There?

aszane21aszane21 Member
in Off-topic 350 karma

Hi all,

Does anyone else work in the public policy space? I work in policy research at a think tank in DC. Would love to hear other people's experiences/maybe find some people to talk policy with.

Comments

• D_man1071D_man1071 Member
    130 karma

I am also interested in working in the public policy realm. I'm curious--considering you have experience in this space already--how you see a JD contributing to your career path in public policy? I know this may seem obvious to you. However, on a podcast I was recently listening to, the host was challenging the notion that having a JD is essential to having a successful career working in public policy. She went on to say that potential law students ought to think deeply about this before committing to law school and suggested that an MPP may be a better route. I was a little surprised with her response, so I'm curious if you have any thoughts? Also, I would love to hear more about what kind of policy work you are involved in.

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

Lol, every lawyer I've EVER met has said that "you don't need to go to law school." Which, granted, is technically true. An MPP is a great degree if you want to do policy research but that's not the entire realm of public policy. I've always felt that research is great but that its not meaningful unless it gets turned into actual law.

Honestly, it boils down to the fact that a JD affords a level of power that an MPP never can. When I first got started in public policy, I learned a lot about administrative law. That stuff is powerful. Most policy dies in court not because its (necessarily) unconstitutional, but because the Executive Branch didn't follow the APA correctly. I work in social policy so I also have a lot of contact with legal aid attorneys who do amazing, essential work.

Lastly, and I know this might sound blazé, but a lot of lawyers in public policy that I know (small sample) are nearing retirement. I think its somewhat funny that they all tell me that I don't need law school when they'll need someone to file their roles in the next decade.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    edited August 2020 1755 karma

-

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    edited August 2020 1755 karma

-

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Sometimes a person will get a PhD in poli sci or public policy and in those cases, maybe they'd work at a think tank or something like that and they'd be considered experts in their field(s), but degree programs can really vary in terms of training, requirements, and opportunities. And now the economy is struggling.

• 1952 karma

hey there – i sort of have some experience with policy work and it is also one of my interests after law school. obviously, my work did not require a jd, or even a master's. i'm curious to hear what you all want to do with a jd in this field.

i think it'll be awesome if we can connect (probably make a groupme chat if we have enough people).

• alecg218-1alecg218-1 Member
    5 karma

Hey--
    I worked in DC in a policy analyst role at a thinktank. I also worked with an advocacy (lobbying) firm for a few years. If you have any questions, PM me. The long and the short of it is that you dont need a law degree or MBA to work in policy. However, you obviously get paid much much more if you have an advanced degree and it is much easier to find a job.