Eval-Type LR Qs

I don't remember seeing Eval in the CC and can't find it either in the CC. JY explains 'toggling' for the ACs on PT 79.1.17 and I have no idea what he means by this. I am assuming he means looking for a vacillation between strengthen and weaken per AC? Not sure how to approach this Q-type.

Can someone let me know where I can get some study material on evaluate the argument as I read they are more common on the recent LSATs.

Thanks.

Comments

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

Right at the end of the LR CC, he briefly mentions Evaluate (and Counter) questions: that they're a combination of Strengthen / Weaken. You're correct that 'toggling' means to go from strengthen to weaken.

https://7sage.com/lesson/how-lr-question-stems-are-related/

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited August 2020 905 karma

I've found it useful to compare the different sources' strategies; I ended up putting together a comparative list of all the sources' question types to compare their suggested strategies. It's interesting to see how the 'miscellaneous' question types are covered.

If you have access (or your own copy) of the Loophole and/or Powerscore books, they both talk more about Evaluate questions; Kaplan talks about it also (granted, I read the 2016-17 Premiere copy from my library instead of buying the newest copy, but I can't imagine that the newest copy would have removed information on a question type!!) - just not seemingly as simplified / clarifying as Powerscore and the Loophole both do - but most libraries also have Kaplan books. I didn't find mention of it in the LSAT Trainer, but I think that's because he considers it a subset of weaken & strengthen and not its own 'question type' in an effort to consolidate our handling of information that often bleeds together. And, 7-sage's treatment is spot-on - especially to help condense the jumble of strategy in our head. I just don't know if it clicks better (at least from my perspective) with other sources as reference for further explanation (especially with walk-through explanations of sample questions)??

Hope that might help!! :smile:

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Would you be able to share that list of strategies? I am really trying to just eke out a couple more points for scholarship contention and that might just help. I think others would find it useful as well.

• nanabillannanabillan Member
    347 karma

@hopefulling thank you, I will go over that part again.
    I read somewhere that for eval Q-types, you are supposed to locate the AC that asks a Q that best objects to the respective argument. Is this the proper approach? And I am assuming that the following step would be to find the AC that both strengthen AND weaken?

@VerdantZephyr that list of strategies does sound nice :) hehe