Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm OK with RC; should I still do CC?

goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member

Hi everyone. I need some advice on reading comp and whether or not I should do the core curriculum. I'm doing fine in PTs and BR. I get -3 at most and then BR -0. I have no issues with timing either. So do I go for the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" approach, meaning things are ok so let things be. Or should I go over the core curriculum because there are benefits to new approaches and I will probably pick up some useful tips (maybe at this point only very marginally useful).
The issue is, it will be quite time consuming to go over RC CC, time I can invest in firming up LR and LG. My goal is -0 in RC and I think I can do that on my own, whereas LR and LG definitely need more practice. Please advise!

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

To be honest you could probably skip the RC section in the CC completely and just figure out your own methods for RC. I did really well on my RC in my diagnostic and I don't think I got much out of the RC CC - I don't use any of the methods discussed and the CC didn't really change how I studied. Going from -3 to -0 in a section is more about your own personal strategies anyway

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

Thanks @noonawoon! I was leaning toward skipping the 7Sage CC for RC.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

any last minute tips for RC?

• LSAT Learner-1LSAT Learner-1 Alum Member
    46 karma

Yeah, any tips? I find myself running out of time or only getting to 3 out of the 4 passages.

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

Hmm I don't know about last minute tips except to say that all answers are IN the passage, look carefully because it's there! In my experience, RC passages don't have deeply buried implicit assumptions (unlike those very difficult LR questions).

As for generally, I have a friend who was a sprinter at Duke. People often ask him how to be a better, faster sprinter. He tells them, if you want to sprint faster, practice sprinting. If you want to read faster and better, then read, read a lot. I just happen to love books and reading. Some advantages I've noticed just from being an avid reader:
    1) I read pretty fast, usually about 2:30 per passage
    2) My understanding of the passages is usually automatic and immediate
    3) I have a good working memory of the main points (meaning I remember and can recall what I read immediately)

So I say find some books on things you find interesting but may still be challenging reading and dive in! Or at least keep up with good magazines (The Economist, NY Times Magazine, etc). Sorry I have no magic bullets or shortcuts!