Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

am I considered a URM?

deo22deo22 Member
in General 111 karma

I was born in Guatemala, and have lived here in the US for the majority of my life as undocumented. I am a part of an indigenous community back home. I have seen that many people consider URM as Mexican/African American... so what am I?

Comments

• 7SageUser-27SageUser-2 Member
    58 karma

I would be surprised if you aren't considered an URM. I suppose the definitions could shift based on the school, but I think it's a safe bet to assume you fall under that category.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    edited August 2020 1755 karma

I do not think you are a URM in the traditional sense. URM is Mexican, Puerto Rican, and African American.

I do not believe Brazilians, Argentinians, Chileans, Guyanians,Cubans, Uruguayians, Peruvians, etc. other South Americans are considered URM. I also don’t think being part of an indigenous community back home matters for URM - just as I don’t think ethnic indigenous Uighurs in Xinjiang, China are considered URM for law school.

URM mostly focuses on the disparity between that population in the US and that population’s enrollment in law school. When compared to African Americans and Mexicans, there are not that many Guatemalan in the US to begin with to point to a big disparity— similar to how there aren’t that many Uighurs in the US to begin with.

• AllSmiles4AllSmiles4 Member
    40 karma

URM usually means Hispanic, Black, Indigenous. If you're hispanic, even if you are white hispanic human, you are a URM

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@username_hello said:
    I do not think you are a URM in the traditional sense. URM is Mexican, Puerto Rican, and African American.

I do not believe Brazilians, Argentinians, Chileans, Guyanians,Cubans, Uruguayians, Peruvians, etc. other South Americans are considered URM. I also don’t think being part of an indigenous community back home matters for URM - just as I don’t think ethnic indigenous Uighurs in Xinjiang, China are considered URM for law school.

URM mostly focuses on the disparity between that population in the US and that population’s enrollment in law school. When compared to African Americans and Mexicans, there are not that many Guatemalan in the US to begin with to point to a big disparity— similar to how there aren’t that many Uighurs in the US to begin with.

I mean i'm central american, not south american/ there's is a huge majority of us in south florida but i guess ur right

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    edited August 2020 1755 karma

@AllSmiles4 I don’t think all Hispanics are URM. I’m pretty sure Spanish people from Spain are not URM. And I don’t think there’s a lot of evidence that people like Brazilians or Argentinians see the same amount of URM boost traditionally given to Mexicans, African Americans, etc.

• edgar213edgar213 Member
    18 karma

You might not be a "URM" in the law school sense, but your background is certainly something that would catch an admission office's attention. Undocumented students are underrepresented and will be considered within the extent that a law school holistic admission process can offer. This does not compensate for test scores/gpa, but is still something that can contribute to the diversity of a law school, which admission offices would appreciate seeing.