Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mentally Exhausted

legallytiredlegallytired Member
in General 442 karma

hi guys..just wanted to come on here and let some emotion out because i know nobody who is taking the LSAT or who wants to go to law school and its hard not to talk about it. ive been trying extremely hard to stay positive, and as my test gets closer its wavering. I am taking it this weekend, and my goal is the high 160s. in the middle of my studies, i was scoring mid 160s and high 160s BR. but the last two weeks with the exception of one exam i have scored 160-162 with mid to high BR. i am definitely going to take the exam a second time, but i just dont know what to do right now and i felt like giving up on law school so many times, mostly because i feel like i wont be able to get to where i need to be to get into a good school. i recently took my last PT before the exam and i thought i did good, but again ended up getting a 161..that ended in a 30 minute crying session lol.

LR is holding me back significantly and i just feel like i cant do anything to improve now, as i have spent 6 quarantine months studying for the test which consisted of 8 hour study days at least 5 days a week. i dont even know what i don't understand because it always varies depending on the question.

so basically i just wanted to let that all out.

i wish the best of luck to everyone taking the test this weekend and in the future. thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• xwang2xwang2 Alum Member
    30 karma

I understand your struggle. I'm taking the exam for the fourth time next week. At this point, the best thing I'd recommend is to take a full day off. Go outside, spend time in nature, and force yourself away from the LSAT for one complete day. It will do wonders. Also, it's only your first time, take it easy, and trust yourself for the hard work you put in.

• Craskin1Craskin1 Alum Member
    61 karma

Hang in there friend! The road has twists and turns and you should certainly be proud of how far you have come. Some time off to clear your head definitely sounds like a good idea. Best of luck with the journey!

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

I resonate a lot with your struggles. Like you, I am aiming for the high 160's to 170 and it definitely sucks when the PTs I take don't reflect that range. LR is my crappiest section too, but I just try to go through JY's explanations and CC again to reinforce ideas/ question stems I didn't absorb the first time around.

However, as you mentioned earlier, you are taking it a second time around so try not to put too much pressure on yourself! Like you, I am nervous about the august flex, but I have accepted that this one will probably just be a sort of baseline for me and I'll have a score on file first. If it turns out amazing then I won't take it a second time, but if it's not where I want it to be, there's always October or November. That said, after this August flex, definitely buckle down and drill on areas that are difficult for you so you can improve before the next exam you take. As people above have also mentioned, I think you would also benefit from some time off before the exam. Your lower scores might be indicative of burnout and fatigue. I have also personally noticed that the more recent exams are... trickier? I don't know how to describe them, but the older exams felt less tedious in some respects.

Stay strong and don't give up! I've been in and still am in the same boat so I completely understand the struggle. Just keep your head up and know that if you don't get the score you want this time, you can achieve it for the 2nd attempt.

• legallytiredlegallytired Member
    442 karma

@xwang2 thank you so much for responding, that allowed me to feel a bit better. and i wish you the best of luck on your exam; you will do great

442 karma

@Craskin1 thank you so much, i appreciate it :smiley: you as well

442 karma

@karko2525 first off, thank you for taking the time to respond. and i really like how you have such a positive mindset towards it, i know that will help you a lot whether its w this upcoming exam or another one. and ty for that advice, i will definitely do that once this exam is done. i agree! i think they also tend to be subtly tricker so you don't even realize it until u see ur score.

you as well, again i really appreciate it, ty and best of luck :)

• SilentEagleSilentEagle Alum Member
    100 karma

I went through the same problem last year. I was hitting scores in the low 170s and then I got mentally drained and started scoring in the low to mid 160s. I took the July test last year and did very poorly. However, I think it was a blessing. I took some time off and am now scoring in the mid 170s. That is so much better than I would have done even at my best last year. Sometimes it helps to get away.

• MiamiLaw2024MiamiLaw2024 Alum Member
    62 karma

160 is my goal score! I know your aim is much higher than that, but I hope you find some satisfaction and pride in knowing that your lowest score is some people's goal score. You should feel proud regardless of what you end up getting on the real LSAT next week. I know it's not what you aim to get, but its still a score that you should be proud of regardless. This test isn't meant to be easy... the career isn't mean for everyone. We should feel proud to have even made it this far, despite whatever we get on the LSAT. Take a break from studying, relax, and find things to be grateful for. Your career is only a portion of your life. Your health, friends, family, and happiness make up another significant portion of it - be grateful for whatever else you have! be proud! It's all going to be okay friend :)

• danestr09danestr09 Core Member
    26 karma

Hey man I am right there with you! I know absolutely no one taking this test and I have been completely mentally exhausted these past few days, we both need time to reset our nerves for Saturday! Good luck friend.

• producer4producer4 Member
    37 karma

MiamiLaw2024 is so right! I totally relate to the struggle, but at the end of the day, we should commend ourselves for undertaking this venture, no matter how it turns out. And like most things in life, we survive and find our paths no matter what. I think it's also really important to understand the reality of the LSAT. It is an amazingly well-oiled valid and mostly reliable test -- meaning that we might hear about all these amazing score increases, but statistically, those are likely to be VERY rare. Just as rare as a score in the 170s. One of the best things I've decided is to come on boards like this very rarely, because it's part of this massive LSAT eco-system filled with capitalism and insecurity, IMHO! "Raise your score 10 points and get a full ride!" "Get on the road to 180 and make it big!" Etc. etc. Puh-lease. It all feeds off our need to be the best. I say... use your time to do some thoughtful, strategic studying and let the chips fall where they may. Okay, back to grouping games practice for me... :)

442 karma

@SilentEagle i am happy for you that you are scoring where you want to! thank you for the comment, i will definitely try to take it easy until my test. good luck

• LawLessOneLawLessOne Member
    edited August 2020 38 karma

Honestly, once you take it, much of your anxiety is going to go away. All that is left would be waiting for the score. But, if you're taking it again, just start studying some more, but add more variations in your study schedule. Don't do the same style of studying or same timing. That will make it more of a drag.

442 karma

@MiamiLaw2024 thank you so much!! this helped me feel so much better, i appreciate it a lot. you will definitely hit your goal score i have no doubt, especially with the very positive mindset you have--you've already gotten over the biggest part of the test which is the mentality towards it.
    you are very right, and i will do my hardest to feel proud no matter what. i wish i was as optimistic as you haha! thank you again and good luck i know you will get ur score. and im not the best at everything but if u ever need help on something message me and i will try my best to explain

442 karma

@danestr09 thank god we have the sage community to lean on! yes we do, and you should also follow everyones advice about taking a day off and stepping away from the exam. good luck to you too, you got this

442 karma

@producer4 haha wow i never thought of it that way but thats honestly true, and we should try our best not to get carried away seeing the few handful of people out of thousands who take it their first time and hit in the 170s. oh yeah definitely, this whole test feels like one big feeding off of everyone wanting to be the best lol. but im glad on sage we all help each other :)

good luck!! if you have a question, you can message me and i will try my best to explain

• PFT CommenterPFT Commenter Core Member
    249 karma

I completely understand how you're feeling. Like you, I know no one who is taking the LSAT with me, and it's obvious that when I try and talk to others about my successes and struggles, they either don't care or don't understand. I spend every waking minute thinking about this test. I think you need to take a day or two off. Try as hard as you can to completely forget about your anxiety and struggles. Come back in a few days with a refreshed attitude and mindset. When I feel anxious or begin to allow myself to feel like shit, I remember how I felt on June 22 when I first signed up for the CC after scoring a 143 on my diagnostic. I didn't even know what a necessary assumption was. Then I look at all of the progress I've made. You should be fucking proud of the score you've already achieved and the progress you've made. The LSAT is not one of linear progressions. Keep at it, don't let this test win.

• calvinnhobbescalvinnhobbes Core Member
    134 karma

If you've been sticking with it for those crazy hours for so many months, you are going to kick this test's butt when it comes down to it. I admire you a ton for putting in that amount of work, and I'm guessing when it comes to the real thing you are going to do better than you thought - real test conditions tend to add that extra element of focus for many people, you just can't fully simulate that during a PT. Don't worry about a single one of the practice tests that came before you. Trust me, I've wanted to give up so many times. Studying is a rollercoaster, some days I whiz through practice questions, other days I feel so unmotivated and beaten by a particularly difficult LR or shitty PT that I want to just delete my LSAC account and give up. Something that helps me get through is remembering that there are going to be so many more exciting classes and assignments in law school than hordes of devilish LR questions. We just have to get through this stupid sludge to get there. Attack each question with fresh eyes, you can do it!!

• Frenchy555Frenchy555 Live Member
    393 karma

Any time I felt doubt this year I would read "Roll the Dice" by Charles Bukowski.

442 karma

@LawLessOne that sounds like a good way to approach it. thank you!

442 karma

@"PFT Commenter" dont forget, you always have the sage community to lean back on if you ever want to let it out:) agh, i feel that i have done the same. thats honestly very true, and a good way to think about it...looking back at where you started is a good reminder that you can do it and to be gentle to yourself. thank you for ur encouraging words, i appreciate it

442 karma

@calvinnhobbes thank you so much!! it made me smile reading that. i never thought of it that way, but it helps to think about it like that and i hope you are right. its really encouraging and nice to see that no matter what you have not given up..keep going because you will get to where u need to be the same way u are telling me that i will. i felt the wanting to delete LSAC lol but i am happy to see we are both still trying. yes that is so true!! just this one obstacle to cross and then we can start making our way to the end goal. thank you again for taking the time to write; it definitely made me feel better than i did yesterday

442 karma

@FrenchyFuqua thanks for the recommendation! i will make sure to read that

• dianejuventinadianejuventina Core Member
    26 karma

Never give up! I was just feeling the way you were feeling, Im taking the LSAT this weekend and I am doing worse on my practice tests, but its time to take a leap of faith because you know what you're capable of!

442 karma

@dianejuventina tysm, i hope u feel better now!! and you are right. you are capable as. well and you will do great

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@legallytired Glad I could give some insight! :smile: To be completely transparent, it took me over half a year (or more) to understand that I need to be kinder to myself when it comes to the LSAT. I used to beat myself up for every little setback when it came to this exam and it definitely wasn't healthy. I'm working on it tho! :wink:

All I can say is.. A change in mindset is never easy and doesn't happen overnight, but it will make all the difference when you start giving yourself more credit. Good luck to you on this August flex!

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

Hey,
    I'm right there with you, I have been studying for the last 8 months and though i have made some progress on LG, not much on LR. I studied first 3 months on LR and after studying for LG for the subsequent 3 months I have gotten back to LR and there are times I feel like I'm actually getting worse haha. I highly recommend taking a break, it's helped me a lot. Going down the rabbit hole with tunnel vision wont help. And as I have read in lsat community in reddit, couple of years after graduating from the Law school, NO ONE will care about where you went. Also, "no one (who matters) will think you are a brilliant lawyer because you went to good school" - random dude on lsat subreddit. This helped me to put things in perspective. Life is long, law school is just a brief passage. Don't stress too much, eat good food, spend quality time with friends, cry, sleep and rise early. You will be OKAY!

• spolishchukspolishchuk Core Member
    16 karma

Wow... As I was reading your post, every single part of it resonated very deeply with me. And like you, I would like to share my story to let out some steam. I began studying last August, waking up at 5 am and putting in 4 hours of work each morning before starting my regular school work. I did this every single day for four months. During the winter, I decided to take a week off and come back to it with a fresh mind. When I returned, I rewatched the entire core curriculum. I continued my 4 hour a day session, attempting to deeply ingrain every single piece of information I learned. When I began PTing, I kept a journal with four sections: an overview of all the notes the LSAT required; records of each test score along with everything that could be learned and transferred to the next test; every new vocabulary word I came across; a rewritten copy of every single LR problem I had difficulty with, along the reasoning for the correct ac. My diagnostic was a 156 and my goal was a 170. After reviewing all of the core curriculum twice, my first PT was a 156... completely heartbreaking. I felt like I wasted 8 months of my life. Nonetheless, I continued. The next couple of PTs showed improvement and I was scoring the early 160s. I still felt like I could do better. When I finished the semester, I became even more obsessed. I meditated every morning, exercised everyday, took many vitamins, and ate not a single unhealthy thing. I also began to train my brain in different ways by reading two to three books a week, playing Lumosity games, learning Italian, doing 20 minutes of Spreeder a day, and playing the insanely challenging game Dual-n-back which is supposed to do wonders on spatial reasoning. I made sure that I practiced all of these things every single day. My journal grew and I was motivated to keep doing better. For three months, I was taking 2-3 PTs a week and reviewing them three times each. I spent all day, every day studying. About a month ago, I was hitting consistent 167-168. I even hit a 177 BR twice!! I was ecstatic!! I felt like I had so much more room for improvement, and I could due truly amazing on this exam. I felt like all of my hard work would pay off. But it's not that easy. Two weeks ago, my score dropped drastically... since then, I've been hitting consistent 162s. I've cried at least once a day every single day for the last two weeks (sometimes as much as three times a day). I've analyzed everything and tried to pull out so many lesson from each PT. But it's not helping. I have poured my heart and soul into this test. I did everything that I was supposed to. I am smart (not that GPA is a significant indicator of this, but I 3.9). I thought that if I put in the work, I could do this... I could truly get an amazing score. I am taking the August LSAT Flex; my intention was that this would be my first and last test... I know it has not come yet, but I am so worried and heartbroken. I took my last PT today and once again, it was a 162. I broke down crying immediately. I am trying not to let this interfere with my test day mentality. I am trying to anticipate everything and internalize every single lesson that I have learned thus far. I am so heartbroken. I'm praying that my hard work will pay off.

• syh-0120syh-0120 Member
    16 karma

I seriously hit a plateau for a month and then was consistently dropping my score 2 weeks before the upcoming Aug test. I cried a little and decided that this upcoming test is gonna be experimental since I am already registered for the Oct one. Meaning I've decided to ignore general advice and drill the devil out of myself until the day before the test. So I've been doing 2 PT and a blind review everyday. I wake up in 7am to do flex-pt, go to work, and come back to do PT again at 5pm and blind review the first one later. In doing so I managed to get out of plateau+drop quicksand. I hope I consistently do well until next week's test, but I won't be hazed by a bad score now as I'll be drilling too many to care (not saying I want it tho - no jinx).

442 karma

@alexhpcs thank you for your words. knowing that does help de-stress a bit. you are probably improving a lot more than you think and you will see ur hard work pay off!

442 karma

@spolishchuk
    hi, i am glad that you let all of that out and i hope that it helped. all of the effort, time and energy that you have invested into this is A LOT and it will pay off. it has already paid off as you saw when you were consistently scoring highly. i am so sure that the reason ur scores started going down is because of burnout and ur mind telling you that you need some time off. you know what to do and you can do it, as various PTs have proven to you. do not let the minor few scores that were not ur goal make you forget the handful you got that were; that is so much more important. as everyone mentions often, this test requires confidence and u have to try ur best not to let a couple of pt's throw away all of the hard work that you have already invested. you will be able to do it; just give yourself a break and do not even think about the LSAT the day before you take the exam. if that leaves you restless, only do a couple of 1 or 2 star questions. there is not going to be much that u will be able to learn in a day; it is better to let ur mind relax and prepare. you will be okay, trust me. i know how you feel but you have to try to keep telling yourself that u can do it, and even if u cant this time u have another chance and you will do it then. hell, even if u cant the second time you will still eventually perform well enough to get into a good school that even though might not have been ur target you will be happy with.
    have faith in yourself and trust yourself, i can see how much work you have put into it and it will pay off and youll see that on score release day. just take a breather, and remember; be confident.

best of luck

442 karma

@syh-0120 wow it must be exhausting to take two pt's a day but if it works for you then that is great! after reading all of these comments, it feels like its a trend that people start scoring lower than they had been as it gets closer to the exam. it could be nerves, or because the recent exams are a bit harder according to lots of people and i think so too. but anyways, you are right and i am going to try to think of it that way as well.
    good luck and stay confident