Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT test anxiety help

olegb458olegb458 Member
edited March 2015 in General 9 karma
Hi all, I have taken the Feb 15 LSAT. I have scored a 145 on the test and was very disappointed with my score. I was really bothered by the test anxiety that had my heart beating very fast and was a big factor because I felt like all of the questions were going past me and I could not settle into the test at all.

I have been preparing for the test for over 6 months and have been scoring in the mid 150’s a score that is sufficient to got into a local law school that I have just been rejected from. I am wondering if I should consult a psychiatrist and maybe even do hypnosis exercises to help me get over the severe anxiety I had when taking the test. If anyone else has had the same issues or has any tips for what I should do please respond.

I know this sounds far fetched to some readers but its definitely real for me. I know this because at home I have done over 30 PT’s and was very comfortable in my own home setting, but when the timer started during the real test I just felt like I was taking my first diagnostic. I felt like I should of gotten a 155, a score that is not high at all but would be competitive for the law school for which I am applying.

Please advise.
Thank you,

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    While the decision to see a councilor is a person's own prerogative and I don't think anyone would be comfortable advising you what to do there... I myself would not do this... instead, I'd forget about that test... on bad test can happen to anybody... use 7sage materials to prep again, BR the hell out of all the PTs that I had done, and give the test my all once more.
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    I agree with the above comment. The second time around should be better. Also you may want to take PTs in different settings.
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    Also, most people will be nervous on test day even if it isn't their first time tackling the exam in person. It's natural, because the environment is cold and harsh. Variables you cannot account for will always be a possibility. Maybe you are sick, maybe there's a high school debate next to your room, or maybe there's a girl behind you crossing out answers as if she's coloring a coloring book. The best thing you can do for yourself is practice in an environment that is a happy medium between moderately noisy to moderately quiet. When taking 30 PTs at home, eventually it feels natural and you're in a comfortable space, but on test day that comfort zone is nonexistent if you have practiced in other simulated environments. I think doing PTs in a coffee shop, or doing them in your school's library would be a good place to PT. Psychologist visits are very expensive, I'd exhaust other options first.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Look into mindfulness methods. Check out works by Marsha Linehan or even NARM. Also do consider drinking at least 3 liters of water a day, getting 30 min of daily exercise (ideally at least as vigorous as a brisk walk), and eliminate processed foods/eating out. I find that a paleo (grain free, high fat low carb) diet helps immensely with emotional/neuro regulation. Bulletproof coffee is good for the brain and the emotions. Stay away from simple sugars or many starches. If you really want to make a change you must make changes in several aspects of your life. An SSRI or Benzo is unlikely to address the full scope of the problem. And therapy is expensive and it takes a lot longer than a handful of sessions to address these kinds of issues. A mindfulness coach might be better bang for your buck but they will likely give you similar lifestyle/diet advice as what I have shared here.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I agree with the previous posters in that the doing PTS in different settings will help. I struggle with anxiety and my first LSAT (September 2014) was a disappointing 145, at the time I my PT scores were in high 140s-low 150s. I was surprisingly calm on my first LSAT, not sure how that happened. I had a good nights sleep and a case of the screw-its that day. I knew I wasn't going to do as well as I would have liked by that point but I gave it a shot. But don't give up. The second time should be better, hopefully for both of us :-). Anxiety is a normal part of this. I'm not a clinician but I agree that you should exhaust all other options before seeing a therapist. One thing that has been very helpful for my anxiety is meditation and deep breathing exercises. I use a website/app/podcast called Meditation Oasis. They have a lot of free options, the lady who guides the meditations has a calming voice, and it has been extremely helpful for me. It takes practice and some days it is easier than others but it has worked. Best wishes.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    I think everyone has a personal method of dealing with anxiety. I shut my phone off so no one can reach me, put my LSAT playlist on (remixes of songs that get me pumped) and walk for at least 15-20 min to whatever location I'll be PTing (where I frequently change locations). Anxiety is real. But I'm not sure a psychiatrist would be able to help in this situation. The most important thing is to keep yourself in a state of balance by whatever methods you wish. It's a very personal matter, and I don't think a psychiatrist would help very much before charging you the $$$.